From: Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com>
Subject: Re: begin/end reducing memory consumption?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:57:05 +0200 (CEST)
Date: 2012-06-24T15:57:05+02:00	[thread overview]

>   This is mere speculation:
>   The block statement makes some variables "more" local
>   and the implementation of Vectors can perform some memory
>   management.
>   I'd try -O2 -funroll-loops [-gnatn], too, replacing -O3.
>   (Some oddly related information (or maybe not having something
>   to do with this at all) may be available if you have GCC
>   -fdump-tree-slp-details. I have seen some decisions reported
>   there to do with exceptions handling being obstacles;
>   that was FSF GNAT, though, GNAT GPL seemed "better", and
>   the issue might be gone with most recent FSF GNATs.)

thanks, I tried that. Neither -gnatn, -O2 nor -O2 -funroll-loops resolved the issue, however.
-fdump-tree-slp-details generates a huge amount of what seems like potentially useful
information; however, the begin/end pair renames many variables (D.[some number] -> D.[some
number - 40] or so), so I don't get a useful diff without first changing back all those
identifiers; I'll try to do that later.
Anyway, what kind of memory management do we need
here? Except for the loop indices, I thought that the compiler shouldn't have to allocate any
variables at all. And even if it had to, shouldn't those be freed again after procedure
Propagate terminates?
best regards,
Sebastian