From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: Universities in the US
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:00:33 -0400
Date: 2001-05-16T17:00:35+00:00	[thread overview]

I'd have to agree that in the early days of Ada, she basically shot herself
in the foot by the bad quality (and huge expense!) of the compilers that
first appeared. People became convinced that Ada would never work because it
was "too complex" for anyone to build a descent compiler for the language.

Nowadays, the world is considerably different. Computers got more powerful
and Ada compilers have become significantly better. Compiler technology now
is such that Ada can produce code as good, or better, than just about any
other popular language. Also, you have GNAT freely available and a number of
other compilers (such as RR and Aonix) that are available at affordable
prices. Maybe back in 1983, Ada was "ahead of its time" but today all the
right things are in place to enable one to seriously consider Ada for any
development effort.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic