From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: powerful editors versus IDEs (was: License to Steal)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:40:39 -0400
Date: 2001-05-16T13:40:41+00:00	[thread overview]

In a real CM system, even if you add no comments in the process of a check
out/in, it at least maintains a record of what was changed and when & the
delta between the two versions. Comments in a banner are notoriously
unreliable and nothing forces them to be updated when a change is made. I
used to regularly ignore the pleas of some of my cohorts to update the
banners on the grounds that I had already explained my changes in the CM
system and didn't want to do it twice. If they wanted the *real* history of
a module, they could get it in a cocaine heartbeat from the CM system with
very nearly zero effort. I wasn't about to update banners with duplicate and
likely unreliable info just because "that's the way we've always done it!"

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer