From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: powerful editors versus IDEs (was: License to Steal)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:34:21 -0400
Date: 2001-05-16T13:34:23+00:00	[thread overview]

How it is done is going to depend on the tools you have to do configuration
management and change control. In the particular instance I was talking
about, we had a home-grown tool with a relational database that kept (among
other things) a change request form. The change request had associated
details that pointed to the specific files modified. By proper queries on
the database, one could find all the files associated with a change or all
the changes associated with a file.

It seems you are suggesting some version of hyperlinking a document to a
source code file. I know of no systems built around that sort of technology.
If all it amounted to was an attached collection of comments, it might not
be especially useful. Better than filling the code with so much garbage that
you can no longer clearly see what the code is doing. Not quite as useful as
a full-up cross reference capability one might get with an appropriate CM/CC
system.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic