From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: Numerical Computation and Ada95
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:03:11 -0400
Date: 2001-05-11T14:03:16+00:00	[thread overview]

I don't think that is entirely true. People have done timing comparisons,
but you absolutely must remember at all times that you are NOT comparing Ada
to Fortran and C/C++. What you are comparing is the relative speed of code
generated by two (or more) different COMPILERS. As others have observed,
since Fortran programmers tend to want highly optimized math operations, the
guys who write Fortran compilers tend to concentrate on this area. That
doesn't mean you won't discover that Fortran Compiler X produces slower code
than Ada Compiler Y. In point of fact, some Ada compilers are quite good at
optimizing math operations.

I think you would also find that the way Ada goes to such great pains to
precisely define the behavior of its mathematical types could be a major
help to you in developing your algorithms. Get hold of the Ada Reference
Manual and look at the definitions of the numeric types and the annexes that
relate to math and I think you'll be impressed with the facilities
available. (Sometimes it is a bit obscure, so be sure not to miss the parts
that talk about all of the attributes available for numeric types. Many are
extremely useful and aren't paralleled in other languages.)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer