* Running Ada programs under Condor?
@ 2001-11-13  6:40 Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2001-11-13  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know a way to run Ada programs under Condor?

Thanks,
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: Running Ada programs under Condor?
@ 2001-11-13 22:11 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2001-11-13 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

> Does anyone know a way to run Ada programs under Condor?

Now you made me curious... what's Condor ?

--
--  Jerry van Dijk   | email: jvandyk@attglobal.net
--  Leiden, Holland  | web:   home.trouwweb.nl/Jerry

* Re: Running Ada programs under Condor?
@ 2001-11-13 22:46   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-11-13 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <wkk7wuxqvk.fsf@attglobal.net>, Jerry van Dijk says...

>"Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know a way to run Ada programs under Condor?
>
>Now you made me curious... what's Condor ?

I'm guessing this: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/description.html

..but its just a guess.

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: Running Ada programs under Condor?
@ 2001-11-13 23:03     ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2001-11-13 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:

> I'm guessing this: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/description.html
>
> ..but its just a guess.

Ahh, I see. More or less a localized SETI :-)

--

@ 2001-11-14  3:15     ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2001-11-14  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <iphI7.23607$xS6.37669@www.newsranger.com>, "Ted Dennison"
<dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

> In article <wkk7wuxqvk.fsf@attglobal.net>, Jerry van Dijk says...
>>
>>"Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Does anyone know a way to run Ada programs under Condor?
>>
>>Now you made me curious... what's Condor ?
>
> I'm guessing this: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/description.html
>
> ..but its just a guess.

And a correct one it is.  By policy, the only way I can harvest cycles
for long-running jobs on the CS department's largish collection of
machines is to run them under Condor, but they use the checkpointing
feature (to migrate running jobs between machinces), which requires
running a Condor-provided wrapper to the compiler (to link in the
checkpoint stuff, I suppose).  No Ada compilers are listed, but since
gcc is, and since I'm laboring under the assumption that GNAT is "built
on" gcc, I'm hoping that the Condor components can be linked in to
replace gcc modules, rather than any GNAT-specific modules.

Has anyone tried it?

@ 2001-11-14 14:12       ` Mark Johnson
From: Mark Johnson @ 2001-11-14 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> In article <iphI7.23607$xS6.37669@www.newsranger.com>, "Ted Dennison"
> [snip]
> > I'm guessing this: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/description.html
> >
> > ..but its just a guess.
>
> And a correct one it is.  By policy, the only way I can harvest cycles
> for long-running jobs on the CS department's largish collection of
> machines is to run them under Condor, [snip]

Just curious, but how much Ada code are we talking about? I can rebuild
applications with over a million lines of Ada code in a couple hours using
the PC at my desk (about $1200). Most fixes get rebuilt in a few minutes.
With that kind of performance, I would be surprised you need to spend the
effort to checkpoint the compiler.

For an alternative - could you simply build a script that does each step of
the build (e.g., run gnatmake -n, compiling the file it indicates, and then
check if you need to move to another machine in a loop) using the Condor
framework? If each module is not "too big", this would basically give you
the same effect.
  --Mark

* Re: Running Ada programs under Condor?
@ 2001-11-14 14:21       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-11-14 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9ssnmp$am9$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, Bobby D. Bryant says...

>feature (to migrate running jobs between machinces), which requires
>running a Condor-provided wrapper to the compiler (to link in the
>checkpoint stuff, I suppose).  No Ada compilers are listed, but since
>gcc is, and since I'm laboring under the assumption that GNAT is "built
>on" gcc, I'm hoping that the Condor components can be linked in to
>replace gcc modules, rather than any GNAT-specific modules.

Gnat is indeed build on gcc. However, its currently a rather old version of gcc
(2.8.1 on the latest public version). Depending on exactly what that wrapper
does, that may cause you trouble.

The next major revision of gcc will support Gnat, so this problem (if it is a
problem) should go away in a while.

---

@ 2001-11-14 19:23         ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2001-11-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3BF27BB2.29ACF5DF@Raytheon.com>, "Mark Johnson"
<Mark_H_Johnson@raytheon.com> wrote:

> "Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:
>
>> In article <iphI7.23607$xS6.37669@www.newsranger.com>, "Ted Dennison"
>> [snip]
>> > I'm guessing this: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/description.html
>> >
>> > ..but its just a guess.
>>
>> And a correct one it is.  By policy, the only way I can harvest
>> cycles for long-running jobs on the CS department's largish
>> collection of machines is to run them under Condor, [snip]
>
> Just curious, but how much Ada code are we talking about? I can
> rebuild applications with over a million lines of Ada code in a couple
> hours using the PC at my desk (about $1200). Most fixes get rebuilt in
> a few minutes. With that kind of performance, I would be surprised you
> need to spend the effort to checkpoint the compiler.

I guess I wasn't clear.  It's the running jobs that are checkpointed.
However, since Condor manages the checkpointing your executable has to
have some Condor modules linked in.

It doesn't require any changes to your source, so I ass-u-me that
they just replace some standard library modules with their own.  That's
what makes me thing gcc-based GNAT might work with it.

@ 2001-11-14 21:32           ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-11-14 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9sugc5$7s3$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, Bobby D. Bryant says...
>I guess I wasn't clear.  It's the running jobs that are checkpointed.
>However, since Condor manages the checkpointing your executable has to
>have some Condor modules linked in.
>
>It doesn't require any changes to your source, so I ass-u-me that
>they just replace some standard library modules with their own.  That's
>what makes me thing gcc-based GNAT might work with it.

Hmmm. It could be that they do roughly what gprof does. Gprof saves off the PC
every now and then for later analysis of how much time is spent where in your
program. It also requires that you replace certian basic C libraries with
gprof's version of them. All Condor would have to do is save the registers along
with the PC, so it may just be replacing the same C libraries that gcov users
replace.

If that's the case, then the gcc version will indeed be an issue for you (it
certianly was for me the last time I tried using gprof). You should check their
(Condor's) docs and see if they specify precise version numbers of gcc that they
support. Right now you are looking for version 2.8.1.

---

@ 2001-11-14 21:39             ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2001-11-14 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:
> gprof's version of them. All Condor would have to do is save the registers along
> with the PC**, so it may just be replacing the same C libraries that gcov users
> replace.

**and all the task stacks and the heap....

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: Running Ada programs under Condor?
@ 2001-11-17 18:44         ` Brian Catlin
From: Brian Catlin @ 2001-11-17 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
> In article <9ssnmp$am9$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, Bobby D. Bryant says...
> >
> >feature (to migrate running jobs between machinces), which requires
> >running a Condor-provided wrapper to the compiler (to link in the
> >checkpoint stuff, I suppose).  No Ada compilers are listed, but since
> >gcc is, and since I'm laboring under the assumption that GNAT is "built
> >on" gcc, I'm hoping that the Condor components can be linked in to
> >replace gcc modules, rather than any GNAT-specific modules.
>
> Gnat is indeed build on gcc. However, its currently a rather old version of
gcc
> (2.8.1 on the latest public version). Depending on exactly what that wrapper
> does, that may cause you trouble.
>
> The next major revision of gcc will support Gnat, so this problem (if it is a
> problem) should go away in a while.

As I recall, GCC 3.1 (with GNAT Ada support) is scheduled for release
mid-February

 -Brian

* Re: Running Ada programs under Condor?
@ 2001-11-19 17:22           ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-11-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9t6b65$foe$1@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, Brian Catlin says...
>As I recall, GCC 3.1 (with GNAT Ada support) is scheduled for release
>mid-February

The only note I can find about it on their web page (
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html ) says April 15'th.

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.