From: dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner)
Subject: Re: including C routines in Ada (newbie ask for assistance)
Date: 7 May 2001 17:39:39 GMT
Date: 2001-05-07T17:39:39+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 7 May 2001 10:00:19 -0400, Marin David Condic <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com> wrote:
> That is to say that two mismatched compilers might never be able to hook
> code together since there is nothing mandatory about how a C compiler must
> present its interface {calling sequence & parameter passing} and the Ada
> compiler attempting to connect to it via pragmas is only going to do so via
> some specific conventions that it knows about. Gnat will know about the gcc
> method of interfacing, which is probably the same as what the underlying OS
> uses for its C-written calls, but with some other compiler at the other end,
> you get no guarantees.

GCC works very hard to support the system ABI. On most systems, the C
ABI is standardized and very well supported. Note that there's nothing
mandatory about how an Ada compiler must present its interface, and
except in rare cases (DEC Ada & GNAT) two Ada compilers won't share an
interface.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and