From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: RE: rename missing in Text_IO
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:03:19 -0400
Date: 2001-05-07T16:03:19+00:00	[thread overview]

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
news:WazJ6.4532$vg1.353081@www.newsranger.com...
> I just flat out don't do it. The only thing (IMHO) the Win32Ada bindings
(or any
> other "thin bindings") are good for is a reference to the correct type
sizes and
> calling convention for a pragma Interface, which I will hide down in the
body of
> my own package. Even there, you're often better going to the C API's docs,
as
> they give much more detail about how an object is used and what is
expected of
> it. If you try to use the C types and error return values that a thin
binding
> provides you directly, they often end up spreading themselves (and the C
style
> their use requires) throughout your code like a cancer.

Its that cancer - as well as the simple, flat-out pain - that makes me hate
to use the Win32Ada bindings. There's just this huge and nasty collection of
subtypes, etc, that are needed to line up with the Win32api and they are a
ROYAL pain! I typically hide them in the bowels of a coresponding package
that has Ada strings, characters, integers, enumerations, etc., as
parameters. And yes, I too hate the error-code returns and usually resort to
either a set of enumerals for the statuses or exceptions or some combination
thereof.

SETI@Home
> Service (see the link on my website), but that will change soon.

I might be willing to help out here, but I'm wondering about proper
guidelines. It wouldn't help much to have a dozen guys each developing
package specs that look substantially different to cover the various parts
of the Win32api. The intelligent thing to do would probably be to parallel
the Win32ada packages. Maybe there's a "Ada_Win32ada" for every "Win32ada"
where the sole job is to Ada-ize the types, parameters, return statuses,
etc. There would need to be some guidelines & examples of how to translate
to something that at least looks fairly regular across all the packages.
Otherwise, we'd just end up with our own proliferation of Ada types,
subtypes, etc.

Ideas?

MDC
--