* GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-23  5:30 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-23  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

As part of the effort to start advocating Ada to the Applications space, I've set up a new website:

http://GetAdaNow.com

The page is designed to make it as easy as currently possible to get new developers set up to use Ada and pointed to some updated resources.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Please add links from your sites to http://GetAdaNow.com to help people use your projects.

AdaPower will be redone soon and have a way for you to maintain your own listings of projects, articles, etc. and will have multiple maintainers  so it can stay up to date and not depend on any one person.

David Botton

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-23  9:28 ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-11-23  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-23, David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:
> As part of the effort to start advocating Ada to the Applications space, I've set up a new website:
>
> http://GetAdaNow.com
>
> The page is designed to make it as easy as currently possible to get
> new developers set up to use Ada and pointed to some updated
> resources.
>
> If you have any suggestions please let me know.

The first paragraph does not flow correctly to me while reading it.
Try replacing the full stop at the end of the first sentence with
"with" so it reads:

|Get started writing software in the most advanced yet easily learned
|programming language in the world with Ada, the time-tested, safe and
|secure programming language used for long-lived critical application
|development

OTOH, that may be a bit long by a few words so I'll let others make some
suggestions of their own, but with the current wording it comes across
as "not flowing" to me.

Also, it should be "advanced" not "advance" in the first sentence
(which I corrected above).

Even with Javascript enabled, I still have to scroll down a full page
of white space to get to step 2. If you want to keep the white space
try adding an internal link at the end of step 1 to jump to the
next step.

It's not spelt "informoation". :-) (Step 2, GNU/Linux)

Simon.

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-23 13:22   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> |Get started writing software in the most advanced yet easily learned
> |programming language in the world with Ada, the time-tested, safe and
> |secure programming language used for long-lived critical application
> |development

I've made your changes for now until a better text is thought of :)

> Even with Javascript enabled, I still have to scroll down a full page
> of white space to get to step 2.

You clicked on one of the platforms?

> It's not spelt "informoation". :-) (Step 2, GNU/Linux)

Corrected.

David Botton

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-23 13:56     ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-11-23 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-23, David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:

>> Even with Javascript enabled, I still have to scroll down a full page
>> of white space to get to step 2.
>
> You clicked on one of the platforms?

Click on Get Started and you end up at Step 1.

However, there's no indication how to get to Step 2 and you have to
scroll down a page of whitespace before Step 2 comes into view.

IOW, you need a "Step 2" button after Step 1 in the same way you have
a "Step 3" button after Step 2.

I can see what you are doing with the individual links, but someone
might think "I've already choosen an operating system" and not click
on them as it's not clear you are talking about the installation of
GNAT here.

Thinking about it, I think it might be better to combine Steps 1 and 2
together into one installation step and maybe put the detailed
instructions on another page. They will only be installing Ada once
but they will be coming back to your website multiple times and it's
going to get annoying really quickly having to wade through that stuff
if they don't click on the links at the top of the page.

BTW, maybe your links at the top of the page should be three buttons:

	Install Ada	(instead of Get Started)
	Learn Ada	(or maybe "Explore Ada")
	Advocate Ada

Simon.

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-23 14:18       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-23 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great ideas, made the changes :)

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-23 18:50         ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-11-23 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-23, David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:
> Great ideas, made the changes :)

That's better, but your Step 3 is still labelled as Step 2 on the page.

Simon.

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-23 20:12           ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-23 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That's better, but your Step 3 is still labelled as Step 2 on the page.

Fixed.

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-24  5:56 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2014-11-24  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-Nov-14 22:30, David Botton wrote:
> As part of the effort to start advocating Ada to the Applications space, I've set
> up a new website:
>
> http://GetAdaNow.com
>
> The page is designed to make it as easy as currently possible to get new developers
> set up to use Ada and pointed to some updated resources.
>
> If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Mostly minor stuff:
International standard	=>	Freely Available International standard
Professional Grade Open Source Compilers	<= Initial caps?

> Please add links from your sites to http://GetAdaNow.com to help people use your
> projects.
>
> AdaPower will be redone soon and have a way for you to maintain your own listings
> of projects, articles, etc. and will have multiple maintainers  so it can stay up
> to date and not depend on any one person.

This is good news; I had rather liked AdaPower when I first discovered
Ada, some of the code and explanations were/are really good.

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-24  8:41   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-11-24  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 <OneWingedShark@gmail.com> writes:

I know Shark8 is given to initial capitals!

> International standard	=>	Freely Available International standard

Freely available international standard

> Professional Grade Open Source Compilers	<= Initial caps?

Professional grade Open Source compilers

==============================

Huge gap after Step 1

Last word under Install on Mac OS X should be "started"

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-24 13:14   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-24 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mostly minor stuff:
> International standard	=>	Freely Available International standard
> Professional Grade Open Source Compilers	<= Initial caps?

Fixed

> This is good news; I had rather liked AdaPower when I first discovered
> Ada, some of the code and explanations were/are really good.

I still grab things from there occasionally or refer people to articles there, reason didn't just close it, but I'll get to it soon.

David Botton

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2014-11-24 13:16     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-24 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Professional grade Open Source compilers

I think Shark8 was complaining about initial caps not saying to do, I used your suggestion.

> Huge gap after Step 1

The reason is you are supposed to use the links and button. I'll see if there are other solutions in the near future.

@ 2014-11-24 16:46     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2014-11-24 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-Nov-14 01:41, Simon Wright wrote:
> Shark8 <OneWingedShark@gmail.com> writes:
>
> I know Shark8 is given to initial capitals!

I think for a bulleted list like that it looks better.
But in any case it ought to be consistent across the page/site.

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2017-09-28 18:26 ` Felix Krause
From: Felix Krause @ 2017-09-28 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-23 05:30:43 +0000, David Botton said:

> http://GetAdaNow.com
>
> The page is designed to make it as easy as currently possible to get
> new developers set up to use Ada and pointed to some updated resources.
>
> If you have any suggestions please let me know.

I just tried to use TDM-GCC-64 along with the gpr-tools linked on

    http://getadanow.com/#get_windows

gprbuild does manage to compile my code, but as soon as I start my
executable, it exits with return code 127.

I then tried to compile my code with gnatmake from TDM-GCC instead.
gnatmake complains that -P is deprecated and will soon be removed, but
it did manage to generate an executable. That executable works without
problems. So it seems to me that there's something wrong with the
gprbuild provided on your site, or that instructions on how to properly
set it up are missing. Can you shed some light on this?

--
Regards,
Felix Krause

* Re: GetAdaNow.com
@ 2017-09-29  4:17   ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2017-09-29  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 2:26:18 PM UTC-4, Felix Krause wrote:
> On 2014-11-23 05:30:43 +0000, David Botton said:
> >
> > http://GetAdaNow.com
> >
> > The page is designed to make it as easy as currently possible to get
> > new developers set up to use Ada and pointed to some updated resources.
> >
> > If you have any suggestions please let me know.
>
> I just tried to use TDM-GCC-64 along with the gpr-tools linked on
>
>     http://getadanow.com/#get_windows
>
> gprbuild does manage to compile my code, but as soon as I start my
> executable, it exits with return code 127.
>
> I then tried to compile my code with gnatmake from TDM-GCC instead.
> gnatmake complains that -P is deprecated and will soon be removed, but
> it did manage to generate an executable. That executable works without
> problems. So it seems to me that there's something wrong with the
> gprbuild provided on your site, or that instructions on how to properly
> set it up are missing. Can you shed some light on this?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Felix Krause

I haven't tried out the 64bit version of TDM-GCC, but with both the
32bit version of TDM-GCC and mingw64, I had problems getting gprbuild
to correctly work.  I didn't have the problem you did specifically,
but I ran into problems both building it (because I couldn't get the
provided binary to work) and running the provided binary (it would
most often fail to run make install on Gnoga.

The only configuration I have gotten working currently is now mingw64
with the Gnoga provided gprbuild, but I had to run gprconfig to generate
a cgpr file to point it to the correct target (the Gnoga provided one
is for 32bit and mingw64 is a diff target).  I haven't gone back to
see if I could do something similar with TDM-GCC, but I imagine I
could generate a similar type of cgpr file.

Unfortunately none of my issues involved programs not running correctly
after building.  I'm actually surprised it had that kind of effect since
it only uses external tools to do the building.  I wonder if a
particular default setting it uses internally for GCC is causing
the problem?  Sorry I don't have anything better for you.