From: David Botton <david@botton.com>
Subject: Re: RIP Robert Dewar 1945-2015
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 10:52:13 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2015-07-01T10:52:13-07:00	[thread overview]

It is a truly sad loss for me personally and the entire community.

Personally:

I can truly say that I admired him, enjoyed and learned from him in every one of our public and private conversations. He was an important person in my life. Every dealing with him was more than fair. When he asked for something of me I did it with out thinking twice, I knew that I could always trust him. Despite my youth when we first met, despite my lack of formal education in the software world, he judged my code, my writing and my teaching always on their own worth, he treated my words with value when they had value and would call them down when they lacked it as any true man should. I never once felt a sense of prejudgment or prejudice and always considered him a friend.

Community:

He was the heart of GNAT and before retiring from Comp.Lang.Ada its pulse.

In all:

True men are hard to find and when they leave their loss is felt deep and long. Robert Dewar was one.

David Botton