From: "Des Walker" <des.walker@dessy.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Instantiating a generic ADT from another ADT
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:29:04 +0100
Date: 2001-04-23T21:29:29+00:00	[thread overview]

Alex Angas <wgd@adelaide.on.net> wrote in message
news:3ae39c1c@duster.adelaide.on.net...
> Ah sorry, yeah Hash_Table.Hash_Table_List is private.
>
> Any suggestions as to how best to implement this? I don't mind if I
have to
> change the whole thing!!
>
> Alex.
>
> "Jeffrey Carter" <jrcarter@acm.org> wrote in message
> > Without knowing the definition of Hash_Table_Entry I can't be sure
this
> > is the only problem, but Hash_Table.Hash_Table_List is private,
while
> > Hash_Table.Hash_Table_List_Package.Item_List is limited private, so
the
> > full definition of Hash_Table_List cannot be "new
> > Hash_Table_List_Package.Item_List".
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Carter
> > "We call your door-opening request a silly thing."
> > Monty Python & the Holy Grail

Hi,

This isn't an answer to your question about ADTs, but in consideration
of your statement that you don't mind changing the whole thing. If this
doesn't interest you then apologies for taking this thread off topic.

If you're looking for code to handle generic lists have you tried using
the Booch Components. The BCs were initially developed for C++, but
there are ports to Ada, and Eiffel and I think I've seen a Java port. As
well as support for lists, the BCs also provide provide support for
"Bags, Collections, Deques, Graphs, ... , Maps, Queues, Rings, Sets,
Stacks, and Trees".

The Booch Components have been around for a numer of years now, although
I haven't used them to a great extent yet. I did try out the AVL Tree -
I found the performance when managing a million items was on a par with
a well vetted C version of the AVL tree I obtained of the net. The Ada
port isn't as complete as the C++ version, but is still being
maintained.

You can download a copy of the Booch Components from
http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/components/bc/index.html

The download comes with a set of test programs which give guidance on
how to use the component packages.

    HTH
    Des Walker