* RE: PrettyPrint for ADA in Win9X/WinNT
@ 2001-04-19 22:15 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-04-19 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

I use ObjectAda, which has that capability.  You could download the
free version and see if it suits your needs (http://www.aonix.com).
There used to be several versions of Pretty Printers around.  You
might want to check out http://www.adapower.com.  Emacs, which is
free, also has that capability and can be downloaded from AdaPower.

Frank

From: Joe Wheadon @ 2001-04-20 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

enliteneer@mindless.com wrote:

> Im have some ADA code that was written using a VAX Machine.
> When I look at the code in Windows, its formatted very strangly.

It depends on what the problem is with the formatting (you don't say).  I assume
that you would like to restore the original formatting more or less to how it
appearead on the VAX.  Given that you are on a Windows platform, simple problems
like end-of-line character sequences from "foreign" systems which aren't compatible
with MS tools (eg Wordpad) can sometimes be fixed by reading the file into Word,
and then using Find/Replace to replace the offending character sequences.  Assuming
that these appear systematically and are easy to locate visually in the text, you
could SELECT a sample of the offending characters, CTRL-C then CTRL-V to copy/paste
them into Find What, specifying what you want instead in Replace With (possibly
with characters selected from More/Special).  For a large population of files one
could automate such a simple "repair" using Word Macros/VBA.    Hope this helps.
Joe.

* Re: PrettyPrint for ADA in Win9X/WinNT
@ 2001-04-21 23:32   ` singlespeeder
From: singlespeeder @ 2001-04-21 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Im have some ADA code that was written using a VAX Machine.
> > When I look at the code in Windows, its formatted very strangly.
>
> It depends on what the problem is with the formatting (you don't say).  I
assume
> that you would like to restore the original formatting more or less to how
it
> appearead on the VAX.  Given that you are on a Windows platform, simple
problems
> like end-of-line character sequences from "foreign" systems which aren't
compatible

[snip]

In my experience of sharing Ada source files between Windows NT 4 and Open
VMS 7.1 both operating systems use CRLF as line terminators. Code written on
the VAX using LSEVE has CRLF line terminators. I have experienced
auto-generated source from tools such as Aflex and Ayacc on the VAX that
only uses the LF line terminator. The DEC Ada compiler sees this as an
entire unit on a single line, and conplains about exceeding it's 255
character limit. When FTPed across to WIndows these source files appear
incorrectly in notepad, but correctly in GNAT or wordpad or word.

The Ada standard does not specify the line terminator character but it is a
simple job to write a LF to CRLF utility in Ada rather than rely on the
presence of 3rd party applications and languages.

Nick