From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: Ada95 and .NET
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:30:30 -0400
Date: 2001-04-16T20:30:31+00:00	[thread overview]

As I understand it, to "Homer" something up, one must succeed in spite of
enormous ineptitude and incompetence. A gratuitous example: To fall asleep
at the control pannel of the nuclear power plant and accidentally bump the
"off" switch in the midst of a reactor scram, thus becoming a hero while
being derilect in one's duty. I'd like to think Ada is more anti-Homer: It
manages to fail in spite of enormous capability while lesser languages go on
to success.

In contrast, Al Bundy could win the lottery and be riding high, only to know
that at any minute the IRS is going to come along and slam him in jail while
Peggy spends the whole wad on cosmetics. - But Ada isn't quite like that
because it has not experienced some kind of enormous success only to have it
snatched away.

Maybe its more the Drew Carey of programming languages. Great at its job,
but never recognized and always tormented by its ugly co-worker, Mimi. (C is
the "Mimi" of programming languages?)

Well, this has drifted a bit far afield, eh? :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer