* makefile to compile code that uses GtkAda
@ 2020-12-14 15:15 L. B.
From: L. B. @ 2020-12-14 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I'm trying to compile a demo code which uses gtkada with a makefile (compiling with gprbuild works fine).

The files can be found here:
https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ada_training/tree/master/src/gtkada_1

The makefile there does not work. What must I do ?

Thanks.

* Re: makefile to compile code that uses GtkAda
@ 2020-12-14 19:39 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2020-12-14 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"L. B." <mario.blunk.gplus@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to compile a demo code which uses gtkada with a makefile
> (compiling with gprbuild works fine).

The makefile should invoke gprbuild, not gcc and gnatbind.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: makefile to compile code that uses GtkAda
@ 2020-12-14 20:22   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-12-14 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2020-12-14 20:39, Stephen Leake wrote:
> "L. B." <mario.blunk.gplus@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to compile a demo code which uses gtkada with a makefile
>> (compiling with gprbuild works fine).
>
> The makefile should invoke gprbuild, not gcc and gnatbind.

Right.

1. Technically there is a possibility to use the output of gtkada-config
which produces switches necessary for compilation and linking, but this
is a *highly deprecated* method to go.

2. Sooner you ditch makefiles for gprbuild projects the better.

----------
Worse than make is only cmake.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: makefile to compile code that uses GtkAda
@ 2020-12-14 20:48     ` L. B.
From: L. B. @ 2020-12-14 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your reply. I know, gprbuild is a nice thing and it works fine here. But there are distros that do not provide gprbuild. For example OpenSuse Tumbleweed does not. Ubuntu does. So my idea is to compile even if gprbuild is not available. Installing gprbuild when not provided in a distro is not as easy as advertised ...

* Re: makefile to compile code that uses GtkAda
@ 2020-12-14 20:56       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-12-14 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2020-12-14 21:48, L. B. wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I know, gprbuild is a nice thing and it works fine here. But there are distros that do not provide gprbuild. For example OpenSuse Tumbleweed does not. Ubuntu does. So my idea is to compile even if gprbuild is not available. Installing gprbuild when not provided in a distro is not as easy as advertised ...

SuSe is a bastardized RHEL, isn't it?

You could try to install gprbuild from Fedora. I never dealt with SuSe
myself, but I know at least one guy who successfully configured the GNAT
tool-chain there and compiled my packages using gprbuild.

So it is possible.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: makefile to compile code that uses GtkAda
@ 2020-12-14 21:14         ` L. B.
From: L. B. @ 2020-12-14 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 9:56:21 PM UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> SuSe is a bastardized RHEL, isn't it?
I don't know. I'm using almost no other distro. It provides all I need, except gprbuid...

> You could try to install gprbuild from Fedora. I never dealt with SuSe
> myself, but I know at least one guy who successfully configured the GNAT
> tool-chain there and compiled my packages using gprbuild.
I'm one of those guys how got it working well on SuSe. See my HowTo at
https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ada_training/blob/master/gtkada-installation.md