From: "Juergen Pfeifer" <juergen.pfeifer@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Ada95 and .NET
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:07:58 +0200
Date: 2001-04-09T23:07:58+02:00	[thread overview]

> after using GNATCOM for several prototypes and after using
> GNATCOM-objects succesfully under the Microsoft  Beta 1 .NET framework,
> I would like to know if there are plans for a genuine GNAT.NET port.
> From my point of view the implications of this new platform seem to be
> very large.

They will be, for sure. But I don't believe that you'll see a quality
GNAT.NET
in the near future. ACT is driven by customer demand (customer here means
people who pay for the service). This is the only working approach for a
small
company making its revenue from selling product support and services.

I guess with .NET the same will happen as happened initially with Win2000.
People are biased against Microsoft and anti-MS FUD will keep people away
from .NET, like happened with Win2000. Then, after a while the facts can't
be
ignored. Nowadays you see a lot of people and companies realizing that
Win2000 is technically very good, performant and stable. They install it and
use it for production. The same will happen to .NET and that means, that ACT
may have customer demand for GNAT.NET in maybe 12-18 month from now.

My 2c.

J�rgen