From: dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner)
Subject: Re: Hebrew
Date: 8 Apr 2001 06:52:37 GMT
Date: 2001-04-08T06:52:37+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 22:33:29 -0700, Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. <rleif@rleif.com> wrote:
> The horizontal advance after rendering a glyph in horizontal orientation.
> The default value is the value of the font's horizAdvX attribute. Glyph
> widths are required to be positive, even if the glyph is typically rendered
> right-to-left, as in Hebrew and Arabic scripts.
> I would like to see this type of functionality in Ada. However as a
> practical matter, the use of web technology to display Hebrew can be as
> above or as the Israelis are doing it.

What type of functionality? Right-to-left? It doesn't seem like that
big a deal - wide_text_io could handle it right now, right? Personally,
I'd find normalization functions to be more useful; rtl only matters
when dumping to a terminal without higher-order protocols (curses
should handle it for you, if and when anyone does serious work on
UTF-8 compatibility), whereas normalization comes in handy when ever
you run into Unicode text from the outside.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and