From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: Learning Ada (newbie)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:53:14 -0400
Date: 2001-04-06T14:53:15+00:00	[thread overview]

Yes, but don't say "mere money". The *ONLY* reason I bother to show up here
every morning (work, that is) and the *ONLY* reason they bother to open up
the doors at all is because of money. If they stopped paying me, I'd be at
home, working on The Great American Operating System. (Or out at the Juno
Beach pier with a fishing stick in one hand and a cold one in in the other!
Its definitely toooooo gorgeous here today to be at work!!! :-)

If money stopped flowing in from customers, I doubt we'd be building our
products out of charity or because it makes a cool hobby. So from the
standpoint of making *business* decisions about what technology to use, Ada
makes sense (sometimes) because the early detection of bugs makes them
(sometimes substantially) less expensive to fix. (How much less depends on
how long your turnaround time is to get a new version fielded. That's why I
noted "sometimes".)

Of course, there are other economic factors to consider such as
infrastructure, knowledge base, tools, problem domain, etc. But with the
standard issue "All Other Things Being Equal" qualifier, Ada is a money
saver because of early error detection.

I agree with your point that there are more important things in life than
spending time chasing down stupid errors. Its a bad idea to sacrifice one's
marriage in order to spend hours in the lab debugging stupid C errors. Of
course, one's willingness to sign up for that on a consistent basis may be a
sign that one enjoys midnight debugging sessions (puzzle solving? sense of
self-importance?) and that's why one selects C instead of Ada. Either that,
or one has a wife from whom time away is a relief. :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer