From: "Peter Milliken" <peter.milliken@gtech.com>
Subject: Re: Learning Ada (newbie)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:25:48 +1000
Date: 2001-04-05T08:25:48+10:00	[thread overview]

Have a look at http://members.nbci.com/pmilliken/ - this is a language
sensitive editting addition to Emacs. It provides full language support for
Ada83 and Ada95. I first learnt Ada in the mid-80's using just such a
package (from DEC), the templating menu system guides you through what
choices are available for language constructs (follows the EBNF for the
language) and saves a lot of typing also! :-)

Aside from my package, Emacs is well supported for programming in Ada, so
even if you prefer to type everything "by hand" you couldn't go too far
wrong with selecting Emacs as your editting environment.

Goodluck in your search,
Peter

"Ayende Rahien" <Dont@spam.me> wrote in message
> 1. Where can I learn Ada? Preferably a turial on the web. I'm currently
> reading (http://www.adahome.com/Ammo/Cplpl2Ada.html) which presents some
> very interesting concepts (the fine-grained variables, frex), but it
doesn't
> really teach much. I used to know Pascal (been several years since I
program
> in it), and I know C/C++ pretty well. So I don't really need an
interduction
> to programming, just to Ada itself.
> 2. Can you recommend a good IDE for Ada? Preferably for Windows.
> 3. I read in Jargon File that "hackers find Ada's exception handling &
> inter-process communication particularly hilarious." among other stuff.
Why
> is that? What are the advantages & disadvantages of Ada compare to C or
C++