From: David Botton <david@botton.com>
Subject: Re: Gnoga + Electron + Node.js = Cross Platform GUIs
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 10:40:56 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2016-01-10T10:40:56-08:00	[thread overview]

> Java Scripts. Node is basically used to implement the business logic of the application. So
> where fits Ada in?

Node.js is only acting here is a layer between Gnoga and the OS to allow it to be cross platform.

Certainly it is possible to implement your application in JavaScript if you want. However if you want the advantages of Ada than you do the implementation of your business logic or other programming tasks in Ada.

As I believe that Ada is an ideal solution for critical systems I choose to use it over JavaScript. No one seriously developing large scale applications uses JavaScript the language or if they must at least use typescript or other extension of the language.

Also electron is just one way of using Gnoga for cross platform GUIs, In general I find just have the Ada app launch a browser to be sufficient for my needs or good old remote access via a URL. In those cases no need for Node.js around.

Gnoga is particularly great at offering nice GUIs to Raspberry Pi projects and other embedded systems as unlike other solutions web based solutions there is an active connection between the device and the browser for real time monitoring and control no need for round trip Ajax, etc. like AWS or other traditional http based solutions.

David Botton