From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: Binary value
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:41:33 -0500
Date: 2001-03-30T17:41:34+00:00	[thread overview]

As I said, you have features in Text_IO to display data in forms other than
base 10.

Step 1: Bookmark this site: http://www.adapower.org/
Step 2: Click on the "Reference" button and select "On-line version of the
Ada 95 Reference Manual at AdaPower.com"
Step 3: Find: Appendix A.10.8, wherein you will find documentation on the
"Put" procedure. (Check out all the other cool stuff while you're there,
like the various Ada.Strings... packages, etc. Lots of useful tools for you
there.) A copy here for your convenience:

procedure Put(File  : in File_Type;
              Item  : in Num;
              Width : in Field := Default_Width;
              Base  : in Number_Base := Default_Base);

procedure Put(Item  : in Num;
              Width : in Field := Default_Width;
              Base  : in Number_Base := Default_Base);

Outputs the value of the parameter Item as an integer literal, with no low
lines, no exponent, and no leading zeros (but a single zero for the value
zero), and a preceding minus sign for a negative value.
If the resulting sequence of characters to be output has fewer than Width
characters, then leading spaces are first output to make up the difference.
Uses the syntax for decimal literal if the parameter Base has the value ten
(either explicitly or through Default_Base); otherwise, uses the syntax for
based literal, with any letters in upper case.

If you intend to do very much programming in Ada at all, you'll want to get
nice and comfortable with the ARM. Check out AdaPower as a really first rate
resource - especially the on-line version of the ARM. (BTW: Many compilers
ship with some version of the ARM available to you.)

Hope this helps.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic