* Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
@ 2001-03-29 11:21 John Robinson
From: John Robinson @ 2001-03-29 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just thought I would point out that Computer Weekly in the UK have just
published a very favourable article on Ada as a "hot skill":

Computer Weekly, 29th March, pp108

I struggle to remember the mainstream computer press printing anything
other than ill informed and inaccurate statements about Ada in recent
times. It is a relief to see someone publishing hard facts at last.

Regards.
--
John Robinson

www.JohnRobinsonAndAssociates.com
www.Adaxia.com

* Re: Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
@ 2001-03-29 14:29 ` Colin Paul Gloster
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2001-03-29 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <S0dc1MAgqxw6EwBE@jr-and-assoc.demon.co.uk>, John Robinson wrote:
"Just thought I would point out that Computer Weekly in the UK have just
published a very favourable article on Ada as a "hot skill":

Computer Weekly, 29th March, pp108

I struggle to remember the mainstream computer press printing anything
other than ill informed and inaccurate statements about Ada in recent
times. It is a relief to see someone publishing hard facts at last."

I will try to remember to have a look at that, Computer Weekly is running
a little late here at the moment (latest issue arrived is that of 15th
March 2001 on 23rd March 2001). Do remember that this is the periodical
which successfully campaigned to clear the names of the pilots in the
Chinook disaster, probably correctly overturning the ruling that the crash
was down to pilot error.

--
This signature file is included in protest against the hosting of Nazi
facist propaganda "Mein Kampf" written by Adolf Hitler on the Dublin City

* Re: Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
@ 2001-03-29 14:39   ` John Robinson
From: John Robinson @ 2001-03-29 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn9c6e24.39vg.Colin_Paul_Gloster@tolka.dcu.ie>, Colin Paul
Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> writes

<snip>

>Do remember that this is the periodical
>which successfully campaigned to clear the names of the pilots in the
>Chinook disaster, probably correctly overturning the ruling that the crash
>was down to pilot error.

It was also the paper that used a print of Lady Ada with the caption
"Ada Shall Not Be Used" as part of an article on the AJPO closure.
--

@ 2001-03-29 15:47     ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2001-03-29 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <YRucdTAok0w6EwTW@jr-and-assoc.demon.co.uk>, John Robinson wrote:
"In article <slrn9c6e24.39vg.Colin_Paul_Gloster@tolka.dcu.ie>, Colin Paul
Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> writes

<snip>

>Do remember that this is the periodical
>which successfully campaigned to clear the names of the pilots in the
>Chinook disaster, probably correctly overturning the ruling that the crash
>was down to pilot error.

It was also the paper that used a print of Lady Ada with the caption
"Ada Shall Not Be Used" as part of an article on the AJPO closure."

Was unaware of that. The change of tune seems ever more reassuring then.
Colin Paul Gloster
--

@ 2001-03-30  3:41     ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2001-03-30  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John Robinson" <john@JohnRobinsonAndAssociates.com> wrote in message
: In article <slrn9c6e24.39vg.Colin_Paul_Gloster@tolka.dcu.ie>, Colin Paul
: Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> writes
:
: <snip>
:
: >Do remember that this is the periodical
: >which successfully campaigned to clear the names of the pilots in the
: >Chinook disaster, probably correctly overturning the ruling that the
crash
: >was down to pilot error.

I know this is drifting slightly off-topic, but has the ruling been
officially overturned, or has there just been a suggestion by certain MPs
that it *should* be overturned?

* Re: Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
@ 2001-03-30  9:15       ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2001-03-30  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <XfTw6.460$IT5.99024014@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, Ken
Garlington wrote:
""John Robinson" <john@JohnRobinsonAndAssociates.com> wrote in message
: In article <slrn9c6e24.39vg.Colin_Paul_Gloster@tolka.dcu.ie>, Colin Paul
: Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> writes
:
: <snip>
:
: >Do remember that this is the periodical
: >which successfully campaigned to clear the names of the pilots in the
: >Chinook disaster, probably correctly overturning the ruling that the
crash
: >was down to pilot error.

I know this is drifting slightly off-topic, but has the ruling been
officially overturned, or has there just been a suggestion by certain MPs
that it *should* be overturned?"

I would have to check back to be sure but Computer Weekly sticks in my mind
as hailing itself as triumphant in its campaign to clear the pilots' names.

--

@ 2001-03-30 11:23 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2001-03-30 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Robinson wrote in message ...
>Just thought I would point out that Computer Weekly in the UK have just
>published a very favourable article on Ada as a "hot skill":
>
>Computer Weekly, 29th March, pp108
>
>I struggle to remember the mainstream computer press printing anything
>other than ill informed and inaccurate statements about Ada in recent
>times. It is a relief to see someone publishing hard facts at last.

If you search http://www.computerweekly.co.uk for ada, you will find it
mentioned. And I think it is doing well in that publication. Particularly
when they discuss language skills and jobs. Ada seems to be popular in
engineering companies.

Greetings,

* Re: Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
@ 2001-03-30 12:34 ` Simon Pilgrim
From: Simon Pilgrim @ 2001-03-30 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Robinson wrote:

> Just thought I would point out that Computer Weekly in the UK have just
> published a very favourable article on Ada as a "hot skill":
>
> Computer Weekly, 29th March, pp108
>
> I struggle to remember the mainstream computer press printing anything
> other than ill informed and inaccurate statements about Ada in recent
> times. It is a relief to see someone publishing hard facts at last.

Having just scanned the article at:

http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/cwarchive/xtra/19991007/cwcontainer.asp?name=S1.html&ct=search

Although it may be an improvement, they still have a way to go.

"A new version of the language, Ada 95, has been developed to
incorporate more modern features, notably object oriented programming
based around the concepts of inheritance and polymorphisms, to bring it
in line with C++ and Java."

And later:

"There is, for example, a three-day course on Ada 63 to Ada 95
conversion to update programmers already  familiar with the old
version."

I didn't realise Ada was that old :)

--
Regards,
Simon Pilgrim

* Re: Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
@ 2001-03-30 13:24   ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2001-03-30 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Pilgrim wrote

>Having just scanned the article at:
>
>http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/cwarchive/xtra/19991007/cwcontainer.asp?nam
e=S1.html&ct=search

>Although it may be an improvement, they still have a way to go.

That is a year old article. The poster referred to an article from this
week.

Greetings,

* Re: Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
@ 2001-03-30 15:00     ` Simon Pilgrim
From: Simon Pilgrim @ 2001-03-30 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tarjei T. Jensen" wrote:

> Simon Pilgrim wrote
>
> >Having just scanned the article at:
> >
> >http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/cwarchive/xtra/19991007/cwcontainer.asp?nam
> e=S1.html&ct=search
> >
> >Although it may be an improvement, they still have a way to go.
>
> That is a year old article. The poster referred to an article from this
> week.

Sorry.  There's a lot of "foot 'n mouth" disease going round.  Every
time I open my mouth I put my foot in it. :)

My search of http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/ didn't show any articles
from this year.  The latest Ada article found by the search is from
August 2000.  This also mentions an increase in the demand for Ada
skills, based on analysis of job adverts in the trade and national
press.

--
Regards,
Simon Pilgrim

* Re: Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
@ 2001-03-31  5:33       ` Phaedrus
From: Phaedrus @ 2001-03-31  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmm, maybe I should try doing my consultant stuff in the UK.  Sounds
like they've got more demand.

Phaedrus
"Simon Pilgrim" <simon.pilgrim@baesystems.com> wrote in message

> "Tarjei T. Jensen" wrote:
> >
> > Simon Pilgrim wrote
> >
> > >Having just scanned the article at:
> > >
> > >http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/cwarchive/xtra/19991007/cwcontainer.asp?nam
> > e=S1.html&ct=search
> > >
> > >Although it may be an improvement, they still have a way to go.
> >
> > That is a year old article. The poster referred to an article from this
> > week.
>
> Sorry.  There's a lot of "foot 'n mouth" disease going round.  Every
> time I open my mouth I put my foot in it. :)
>
> My search of http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/ didn't show any articles
> from this year.  The latest Ada article found by the search is from
> August 2000.  This also mentions an increase in the demand for Ada
> skills, based on analysis of job adverts in the trade and national
> press.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Simon Pilgrim

* Re: Positive publicity for Ada in the UK
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-04-03  8:35 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2001-04-03  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

The article is here

http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/cwarchive/xtra/20010329/cwcontainer.asp?name
=S1.HTML&SubSection=2&ct=careers

reassuringly in the 'News/Careers' section :-)

@ 2001-04-03 13:15   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2001-04-03 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Speaking of ComputerWeekly, Ada (and SPARK) enthusiasts may wish to read
from

http://www.computerweekly.com/chinook/campaign.asp

about a safety-critical application written in Ada (but not the SPARK
subset). It's interesting to see how poorly the magazine understands (or at
least, appears to understand) the issues related to using static code
analysis...

"Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@nospam.baesystems.com> wrote in message
: The article is here
:
:
http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/cwarchive/xtra/20010329/cwcontainer.asp?name
: =S1.HTML&SubSection=2&ct=careers
:
: reassuringly in the 'News/Careers' section :-)
:
:
: John Robinson <john@JohnRobinsonAndAssociates.com> wrote in message
: news:S0dc1MAgqxw6EwBE@jr-and-assoc.demon.co.uk...
: > Just thought I would point out that Computer Weekly in the UK have just
: > published a very favourable article on Ada as a "hot skill":
: >
: > Computer Weekly, 29th March, pp108
: >
: > I struggle to remember the mainstream computer press printing anything
: > other than ill informed and inaccurate statements about Ada in recent
: > times. It is a relief to see someone publishing hard facts at last.
: >
: > Regards.
: > --
: > John Robinson