* More on the consolidated Ada Reference Manual
@ 2000-11-21  0:00 Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2000-11-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

There has been some confusion regarding the status of consolidated Ada
Reference
Manual announced here last month.

In September 2000, WG 9 approved and forwarded Technical Corrigendum 1
to SC 22 for ISO approval, anticipated in February 2001. The Technical
Corrigendum lists the individual changes that need to be made to the
text of the International Standard to correct errors, omissions or
inconsistencies. Once approved, the corrections specified in Technical
Corrigendum 1 will be part of the International Standard ISO/IEC
8652:1995(E).

When ISO publishes Technical Corrigendum 1, it is unlikely that ISO will
also publish a document that merges the Technical Corrigendum changes
into the text of the International Standard. However, ISO rules require
that the project editor for the Technical Corrigendum be able to produce
such a document on demand.
The consolidated version of the Ada Reference Manual is what the project
editor would provide to ISO in response to such a request. It
incorporates the changes specified in the Technical Corrigendum into the
text of ISO/IEC 8652:19995(E), along with some editorial corrections
(deletion of empty paragraphs, correction of fonts, removal of doubled
words, and correction of punctuation). The consolidated version of the
Ada Reference Manual is therefore not an official ISO document, and does
not represent a revision to the Ada standard. As it is very inconvenient
to have the Reference Manual for Ada specified in two documents, this
consolidated version of the Ada Reference Manual is made available to
the public.

We've added an additional Foreword to this version of the Ada Reference
Manual which clarifies the status of the document. We also took the
opportunity to correct 5 small editing errors in the previous version.
None of the technical content has been changed.

The new versions are available on the same web page as the previous
ones:

 www.ada-auth.org/~acats/arm.html

                         Randall Brukardt
                         ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 9/ARG Editor

(Sorry if you get this multiple times; I've posted it in all of the
places that the original announcement was found.)

* Re: More on the consolidated Ada Reference Manual
@ 2000-11-22  0:00   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2000-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message <8vfk4g$tit$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <9ACS5.760$aX.306590@homer.alpha.net>,
>  "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> We've added an additional Foreword to this version of the Ada
>> Reference Manual which clarifies the status of the document.
>> We also took the opportunity to correct 5 small editing errors
>> in the previous version. None of the technical content has
>> been changed.
>
>Randy does not make clear here that the "we" he uses here is
>the editorial we, meaning Randy! It is not WG9 or any other
>official body.

To correct Robert's clarification, the "we" I used here refers to the
project editors, not just me. (I didn't write the new foreword.) But of
course Robert's major point is correct (and is the point of the foreword
itself) -- the consolidated ARM is not an official document of WG9 or
any other official body.

        Randy Brukardt

* Re: More on the consolidated Ada Reference Manual
@ 2000-11-22  5:04 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-11-22  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9ACS5.760$aX.306590@homer.alpha.net>,
  "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:

> We've added an additional Foreword to this version of the Ada
> Reference Manual which clarifies the status of the document.
> We also took the opportunity to correct 5 small editing errors
> in the previous version. None of the technical content has
> been changed.

Randy does not make clear here that the "we" he uses here is
the editorial we, meaning Randy! It is not WG9 or any other
official body.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.