From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: Announcing: Testing Computer Software Conference (TCS2001)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:57:39 -0500
Date: 2001-03-28T22:57:42+00:00	[thread overview]

The term "software" may have started as the counterpoint to computer
hardware, but I think it gets used quite a bit in other areas now. For
example, one buys or rents "software" for one's VCR or DVD.

The one that's always bothered me was the ACM - Association for Computing
Machinery? The last time I was at a meeting, there were no computing
machines in attendance - or even registered as members. (The AI field may
one day change this?) It is an association for *PEOPLE* with an interest in
computing machines. Maybe it should have been the "Association for Computing
Professionals" or something like that.

But I digress....... (Send the Usenet Cops out after me before I digress
again! :-)

MDC

--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

"Phaedrus" <phaedrusalt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm always interested when I see phrases like "Testing Computer Software",
if it
> is meant to imply that they've discovered other kinds of software, that
doesn't
> require a computer.  If so, it should spawn a revolution, no longer will
> software be
> held to the bounds of computer hardware!  Imagine, infinite speed!
>
> Phaedrus
> *With too much time on his hands, apparently*
>
> "Peter Zuckerman" <pazpax@clark.net> wrote in message
> >
> >         MASTER THE NEW CHALLENGES AND DEVELOPMENTS IN SOFTWARE TESTING!
> >
> >               18th International Conference and Exposition on
> >                      TESTING COMPUTER SOFTWARE (TCS2001)
> >
> >                              June 18-22, 2001
> >
> >              Washington, D.C. * Hyatt Regency (Bethesda) * USA
> >
> >           CONFERENCE THEME: Meeting the New Challenges of Testing
> >
> >         Conference + Workshops + Tutorials + Exhibition + Networking
> >
> >   A printed brochure can be downloaded and printed in a portable
document
> > format (PDF) at:
> >
> >            http://www.uspdi.org/conference/printbrochure.html
> >
> >                                  * * * * *
> >
> > The TCS2001 program is designed to prepare you for the current and
> > emerging challenges of software development.
> >
> > - Two 2-day workshops and eight full day tutorials on advanced topics
> >   by leading experts of software testing
> > - Thirty-eight concurrent and parallel sessions in eight tracks present
> >   the latest developments in testing
> > - Vendor Exhibit of products and services to increase testing
> >   productivity
> > - Birds-of-a-Feather sessions and Discussion Groups to share mutual
> >   interests and solutions
> > - Conference Volume provides a useful reference for solving problems
> >
> > The KEYNOTE speakers of TCS2001 will present:
> >
> > "Real Time Priority and Risk Management for World Class Software
Quality"
> >    by Tom Gilb
> > "Is That Your Final Answer? Surviving Cross Examination in the
Courtroom"