* Ada on Ultra2/Ultra10
@ 2001-03-27 12:41 Stian Kaasa
From: Stian Kaasa @ 2001-03-27 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all
I have built executables using VADS ADA v. 6.2.3 and SunOS 5.5.1. on two
different platforms. First, on a Sun Ultra 2, and then on a Sun Ultra 10.

The resulting executables are approx. 10 % smaller when I use Ultra 10 as
compile engine, compared to when I use the Ultra 2 (same compiler and same
OS ).

Before I can put the executables into production, I must come up with an
explanation to this. I suppose the reason has something to do with the
different architecture on a Ultra 2 compared to a Ultra 10 (?)

Any suggestions ?

best regards
Stian kaasa

* Re: Ada on Ultra2/Ultra10
@ 2001-03-27 15:34 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2001-03-27 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would say the most likely reason is that the two machines have somewhat
different libraries that are getting linked in. I do not expect that the
compiler
itself is producing any different code (unless you were to change switches).
Try just re-doing the a.ld on the Ultra 10 after doing the rest of the make
on the
ultra 1.

Also, poke around in /usr/lib and I suspect you will find libraries of
different
sizes (either due to patches on one machine v.s. the other or architecture
specific libraries).

"Stian Kaasa" <stian.kaasa@caa.no> wrote in message
> Hi all
> I have built executables using VADS ADA v. 6.2.3 and SunOS 5.5.1. on two
> different platforms. First, on a Sun Ultra 2, and then on a Sun Ultra 10.
>
> The resulting executables are approx. 10 % smaller when I use Ultra 10 as
> compile engine, compared to when I use the Ultra 2 (same compiler and same
> OS ).
>
> Before I can put the executables into production, I must come up with an
> explanation to this. I suppose the reason has something to do with the
> different architecture on a Ultra 2 compared to a Ultra 10 (?)
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> best regards
> Stian kaasa

* Re: Ada on Ultra2/Ultra10
@ 2001-03-27 17:10   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2001-03-27 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

A possible cause is some library which is statically linked on the Ultra10,
and dynamically linked on the Ultra2.  The ldd command will show this.

If that is the case, then the executable produced on the Ultra10 might
not run on the Ultra2, because the dynamically linked library object
wouldn't be there.

You might also get some useful insight by linking with the map file option,
and comparing the two maps.