* Thank your lucky stars for gprbuild
@ 2011-07-26  6:58 R. Tyler Croy
From: R. Tyler Croy @ 2011-07-26  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

A lot of my day job involves a C project, not a particularly big one but
it's a fundamental service to our business and requires changes to keep up
with our Ruby stack.

I wasted at least 5 hours today fighting with GNU/Make, which by itself
isn't so terrible but for non-trivial projects it can turn into a disaster
pretty quickly.

Everything I was fighting with could have been solved in maybe 80 lines
spread across two or three GPR files.

Grumble, I needed to vent :)

--
- R. Tyler Croy
--------------------------------------

* Re: Thank your lucky stars for gprbuild
@ 2011-07-28 10:26 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2011-07-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"R. Tyler Croy" <tyler@linux.com> writes:

> Everything I was fighting with could have been solved in maybe 80 lines
> spread across two or three GPR files.

You can use gprbuild to build C files; maybe that would help in your
project?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Thank your lucky stars for gprbuild
@ 2011-07-29 15:10   ` R. Tyler Croy
From: R. Tyler Croy @ 2011-07-29 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 06:26:14 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:

> "R. Tyler Croy" <tyler@linux.com> writes:
>
>> Everything I was fighting with could have been solved in maybe 80 lines
>> spread across two or three GPR files.
>
> You can use gprbuild to build C files; maybe that would help in your
> project?

It certainly would, but the lack of good packages for tools like gprbuild
on platforms other than Debian makes that a tricky sale internally.

One of the days... :)

--
- R. Tyler Croy
--------------------------------------

@ 2011-07-29 20:52     ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2011-07-29 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Tyler Croy wrote:

> It certainly would, but the lack of good packages for tools like gprbuild
> on platforms other than Debian makes that a tricky sale internally.

I do of course not know what platforms you would need it on, but GPRbuild is
available in Fedora nowadays. It was packaged by Pavel Zhukov.

--
Björn Persson
PGP key A88682FD