From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Why *.adb and *.ads?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 11:37:38 -0500
Date: 2018-01-27T11:37:38-05:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 08:45:09 -0700, Norman Worth <nworth@comcastNOSPAM.net>
declaimed the following:

>Andrew Shvets wrote:
>> I'm curious, why do the source files in Ada have the file endings of *.ads and *.adb? Is there a reason for this? Or any background story?
>>
>This has nothing to do with the Ada language.  It is a characteristic of
>the GNAT Ada compiler, which is probably the most common Ada compiler.
>Other compilers may use other tags to identifier their source files.
>I've seen .ada commonly.

	.1.ada and .2.ada is the variant I've seen most often outside of
.ads/.adb. It's even a built-in alternative for GPS.

	Even the Ada83 cross-compiler I'd had to use on my last employment
seemed to be configured to the GNAT .ads/.adb convention (along with a few
other extensions for processor specific code -- apparently how they handled
the equivalent of dual code trees; one for target, one for simulation
system). Granted, this may have been a result of some historical
refactoring so they could use GNAT on Windows for test compilation/editing,
as telnet into a VMS box (virtual for the last half decade or so) is not
comfortable -- VMS editors don't translate well to non-VT keyboards.