From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT Question
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:30:07 +0100
Date: 2001-03-21T10:30:07+01:00	[thread overview]

chris.danx wrote
>I'm implementing the BFS file system as a file on disk {maybe i mentioned
it
>before} and was going to do it in Ada first, then once i'm sure it works
>re-write the thing in C.  Maybe not a good idea.  BFS is a nightmare
anyway!
>Does GNAT support writing raw binary data to disk?  I really need to know
>this!

It is just a matter of API. Just like C, C++, assembler, etc.
Take a look at the pragma and interface section of the ada reference manual.
It is available on the net somewhere.

Pragmas to look out for are import, export, convention and linker_options

It will be a good idea to have a look at the Gnat source code. It should
contain quite a lot of what you need to know.

>I must have picked things up wrong.  Maybe i'm also picking this up wrong
>but i looked at the project and saw that some of it wasn't planned to be
>written in Ada.  I know the bootstrap needs Assembly, but i'd think
(almost)
>everything else could be done in Ada.  I'm probably wrong about this
aswell.

No you are not wrong.

Gnat can be used on bare boards. That means: no runtime stuff.

What you need to do is to create a kernel environment so that gnat works
like you want. This includes creating your own kernel version of gnat (it
means you will have to do something to the run-time library).

Don't forget to turn on run time checking!

Greetings,