* Ada programmers: Stéphane Carrez - interview
@ 2019-05-07 11:26 Tomek Wałkuski
From: Tomek Wałkuski @ 2019-05-07 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

The new interview is up! Enjoy!

https://tomekw.com/ada-programmers-stephane-carrez/

The list of all interviews to date can be found here: https://tomekw.com/tag/interview/

* Re: Ada programmers: Stéphane Carrez - interview
@ 2019-05-07 14:11 ` Optikos
From: Optikos @ 2019-05-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 6:26:24 AM UTC-5, Tomek Wałkuski wrote:
> The new interview is up! Enjoy!
>
> https://tomekw.com/ada-programmers-stephane-carrez/
>
> The list of all interviews to date can be found here: https://tomekw.com/tag/interview/

Stéphane,
What would be the generalization of the dot construct/operator for which you yearn?

* Re: Ada programmers: Stéphane Carrez - interview
@ 2019-05-07 20:20   ` stephane.carrez
From: stephane.carrez @ 2019-05-07 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mardi 7 mai 2019 16:11:30 UTC+2, Optikos a écrit :
> On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 6:26:24 AM UTC-5, Tomek Wałkuski wrote:
> > The new interview is up! Enjoy!
> >
> > https://tomekw.com/ada-programmers-stephane-carrez/
> >
> > The list of all interviews to date can be found here: https://tomekw.com/tag/interview/
>
> Stéphane,
> What would be the generalization of the dot construct/operator for which you yearn?

I'm speaking of method call.
If you have the following variable:

  Item : Ada.Strings.Unbounded.Unbounded_String;

You have to use:

  Append (Item, "something");

But it would be nice to just do:

  Item.Append ("something");

There is an AI about that (can't remember the reference).
If I remember well, it was not accepted due to some problems this would create.

If you want to use the dot method call notation, you are force to use a tagged type.
And then, if you define other operations in another package (of course they are not overridable), then you can't use the dot method call notation.

Stephane