From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: New Books on Ada
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:03:46 -0500
Date: 2001-03-14T20:04:12+00:00	[thread overview]

I have no clue as to how much money textbooks of this sort make for the
authors. I've heard that quite often the $$$ value of publishing a technical
(college course level) book is pretty small. It might be the sort of thing
that would be more valuable from a "promotional" point of view if it were
freely available as a download from the Internet. (Assuming the author's
name is prominent in the text and it gets used in a lot of classes &
contexts, it makes the author that much more of a widely recognized expert -
moreso than might already be the case. :-)

It would certainly be of benefit to Ada if there were a good college level
text that could be downloaded along with a compiler, etc. at no cost to the
student/hobbyist. There are on-line learning materials already, but a good
book in PDF or some other format that potentially can be sent to a printer
and looked at with leasure while sitting on the back porch, holding a boat
drink might just encourage a few more people to consider Ada. It would have
some attraction to those teaching a class in Ada as well......

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer