* Ada versus Eiffel
@ 2001-02-04  3:17 Antonio Vargas
From: Antonio Vargas @ 2001-02-04  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where can I get  a technical comparison between Eiffel  and Ada ?

Thanks is advance ?

* Re: Ada versus Eiffel
@ 2001-02-04  9:40 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-02-04  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Antonio Vargas <antonio.vargas@clix.pt> writes:

> Where can I get  a technical comparison between Eiffel  and Ada ?
>
> Thanks is advance ?

I don't have the answer but could be interrested by the result of your
research.

Thanks,
Pascal.

PS: I do think that Ada and Eiffel are amongts the best languages today.

--|

* Re: Ada versus Eiffel
@ 2001-02-04 20:39   ` Antonio Vargas
From: Antonio Vargas @ 2001-02-04 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Right now I have found a starting point for the study:

        http://www.eiffel.com/doc/manuals/technology/contract/ariane/page.html
        about  the ariane 5 problem :-) from the Eiffel advocates
        and a contraposition at http://home.flash.net/~kennieg/ariane.html

I'm also trying some tipical Ada to Eiffel and Eiffel to Ada code.  I
suspec that efficiency is a general advantage in Ada but I must test across
several Eiffel compiler implementations.  It looks like that Eiffel has
some advantages beeing used earlier in the analysis and specification of a
project (design by contract etc). But I can't make a good evaluation until
I get some proficiency in that particular language. I can't make the same
mistake of the Ada critics that, in general, dont have a deep understanding
of this wonderful language.

Ant�nio F. Vargas

* Re: Ada versus Eiffel
@ 2001-02-04 23:46     ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2001-02-04 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Antonio Vargas" <antonio.vargas@clix.pt> wrote in message
:
: Right now I have found a starting point for the study:
:
:
http://www.eiffel.com/doc/manuals/technology/contract/ariane/page.html
:         about  the ariane 5 problem :-) from the Eiffel advocates
:         and a contraposition at http://home.flash.net/~kennieg/ariane.html

Having some interest in the latter reference :), I urge you to read section
6 of this paper carefully. Specifically, I do not think the narrow subject
of this paper is useful for a broad Ada vs. Eiffel comparison. The paper
addresses a specific set of language features and their relevance to a
specific domain. Most of the paper is equally relevant to any language that
would make the claims in your first reference above.

I think doing such a study requires a careful definition of the criteria.
For example, the answer might be very different depending upon whether
reliability is considered more important than efficiency. There are several
frameworks around for the purpose of evaluating languages; I suggest you
start by identifying one(s) that you consider relevant for your purposes.

@ 2001-02-05  0:13       ` Antonio F. Vargas
From: Antonio F. Vargas @ 2001-02-05  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken

In the document you say:
"The author has, in fact, publicly criticized the use of Ada exceptions"
Do you have this criticism available as an other on-line document?

Ant�nio F. Vargas

* PC DOS / MSDOS ADA compiler available
@ 2001-02-05  0:32     ` John - N0HJ
From: John - N0HJ @ 2001-02-05  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just so no one gets upset because I didn't let them know in advance, I
am auctioning off my Meridian ADA compiler on e-bay.  Now, I don't
normally do this, but I figured it was such a rare item, that someone
here would like to know.

thanks for not flaming me (in advance).

john

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1212350413

Title of item:                   Meridian ADA / ADAZ PCDOS Compiler ver
4.1
Minimum bid:                     $5.00
Reserve price (if any):          $0.00
Quantity:                        1
Auction Ends on:                 Saturday, Feb 10, 2001 at 13:55:57 PST

--
jaevans@codenet.net

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Ada versus Eiffel
@ 2001-02-05  5:12         ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2001-02-05  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nope - just as messages on this newsgroup (some time back). However, if
you're looking for information on potential drawbacks of exception
mechanisms (other than the discussion in my paper), you could look at cases
where their use has been restricted in a particular domain. For example, the
SPARK Ada subset might have some restrictions in this area; see
http://www.praxis-cs.co.uk/. There also might be some guidance in the ISO
technical report on the use of Ada in high-integrity systems (my copy is at
work, so I don't have a better reference handy...)

"Antonio F. Vargas" <antonio.vargas@clix.pt> wrote in message
:
: Ken
:
: In the document you say:
: "The author has, in fact, publicly criticized the use of Ada exceptions"
: Do you have this criticism available as an other on-line document?
:
:
: Ant�nio F. Vargas
:

* Re: PC DOS / MSDOS ADA compiler available
@ 2001-02-05 15:54       ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2001-02-05 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why will you only ship it to U.S. addresses?

@ 2001-02-09 14:55         ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2001-02-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

the free gnat3.10 produced by ez2load from Mike Feldman et.al.
works quite satisfactorily.

* Re: PC DOS / MSDOS ADA compiler available
@ 2001-02-12 10:51           ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2001-02-12 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9610df$mf2$1@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, Peter Hermann wrote:
"the free gnat3.10 produced by ez2load from Mike Feldman et.al.
works quite satisfactorily."

Thanks but limiting the number of implentations I use is not a good idea.