From: "Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96" <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Re: Help Wanted
Date: 1998/09/17
Date: 1998-09-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David Harrison <dfh@APCI.NET> writes:

>This annoying bit of spam just arrived.   Does anyone notice something
>missing?
>
>> Subject:
>>              ProObject, request for assistance

    Seeing as how they are requiring "Top Secret" security clearance
    (something not all that common in industry) one would presume this
    is some sort of Government Job - possibly a government contract.
    It sure sounds like the government is abandoning Ada. What ever
    happened to that business of requiring cost justification for
    language choice in the wake of abandoning "The Mandate"?

    I've heard the arguments for dropping The Mandate and they sure
    sound convincing. But I've been afraid that the message would be:
    "Ada is so terrible that even we, who created it, don't want to
    have anything to do with it anymore." (It doesn't matter what you
    *say* - it matters what people *hear*!)

    Well I'm glad we've made inroads in other areas - particularly
    education. Maybe those inroads will sow the seeds for future
    growth and people will be willing to drop their preconceived
    notions and judge the language on its merits. It would be ironic
    if a new generation of programmers were to be coming out of school
    with Ada experience and end up trying to justify to a contract
    officer why he shouldn't be demanding they do the project in C++
    because Ada is the technically & financially smarter choice.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     Voice:     561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-95, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:       561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:  CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
        --  G.B. Shaw