From: jfc@mit.edu (John F Carr)
Subject: Re: Compiler Optimisation?
Date: 1998/12/13
Date: 1998-12-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Thomas W. Christopher <tc@charlie.cns.iit.edu> wrote:
>As I recall, he found that "folding," performing constant arithmetic at
>compile time, not only makes the compiled code run faster, but also the
>compiler.

On AIX 3.1, I found that "gcc -O -c" was often faster than "gcc -c"
because the assembler was so slow.  Apparently IBM didn't use it much
internally (or adb, the assembly-level debugger which was also slow
and buggy).  It was faster for gcc to optimize the code than it was
for as to process the extra instructions in unoptimized code.

--
    John Carr (jfc@mit.edu)