From: ake.ragnar.dahlgren@gmail.com
Subject: Mac OS X Mavericks does not play nice with PostgreSQL 9.3.4
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:24:54 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-03-23T13:24:54-07:00	[thread overview]

Maybe Ada software developers should avoid development on Mac OS X?

I've updated the version of Mac OS X to Mavericks. A consequence of updating the Mac OS X version is that I've had to reinstall my Ada software development environment. While searching information on the internet about this I've read that whenever you upgrade your version of Mac OS X, header files that gcc needs will be deleted and that you have to reinstall the command line tools for XCode. To get the command line tools back execute "/usr/bin/xcode-select --install".

After the upgrade to Mavericks I've installed GNAT GPL 2013 again and XAdaLib for Mavericks. Everything works well except for creation of tables in PostgreSQL.

On my Macbook Air the command gnatcoll_db2ada gives an error message when trying to create the tables in an empty database:
gnatcoll_db2ada -dbmodel=database_schema.txt -dbhost=localhost -dbport=5432 -dbname=hello -dbuser=postgres -dbpasswd=asdf -createdb

The response is:
[SQL.ERROR] 1/2 Transaction failed: BEGIN PGRES_BAD_RESPONSE
[SQL.ERROR] 2/3 Transaction failed: ROLLBACK PGRES_BAD_RESPONSE

The file database_schema.txt contains the following content:
| TABLE   | People           | Person    |         |                        |
| id      | AUTOINCREMENT    | PK        |         | Auto-generated ID      |
| age     | INTEGER          |           |         |                        |
| name    | TEXT             |           |         |                        |

I've spent two work days trying to get the SQL binding in GNATColl to work. I am about to give up and buy a new laptop with Windows on it.

I've tried removing XAdaLIB and compiling GNATColl from Source. I've had no problem recompiling GNATColl. Executing gnatcoll_db2ada gives the error message above. Running the tests for GNATColl reveals the same error message (make test). I've reinstalled PostgreSQL 9.3.4 from both Enterprise DB and Macports. Still no success. Maybe the problem has something to do with permissions?

Is there someone on comp.lang.ada that has faced these challenges before and been more successful?

Best regards,
Åke Ragnar Dahlgren