* IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-01-30 21:16 anon
From: anon @ 2009-01-30 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well it seams from web site:   http://ec.synnex.com/vendors/IBM.html
that IBM has recall the

  "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"

on 1/26/2009.  But you can still seached for that package you will get
a number of web sites that have the price between $106 to $200. Just
like the following:

From: http://www.techshopping.biz/sale/3297647/

"IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
  $118.95

The only problem is that it was based on Ada 95 with a few extra
(Ada 2005 features).

Now, I guess those who want this package will have to wait until and see
if IBM will release an "Ada 2005 CDROM media license" version and hope it
will have a similar price.

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-01-30 21:24 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-01-30 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 30, 9:16 pm, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> Well it seams from web site:  http://ec.synnex.com/vendors/IBM.html
> that IBM has recall the
>
>   "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
>
> on 1/26/2009.  But you can still seached for that package you will get
> a number of web sites that have the price between $106 to $200. Just
> like the following:
>
> From:http://www.techshopping.biz/sale/3297647/
>
> "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
>   $118.95
>
> The only problem is that it was based on Ada 95 with a few extra
> (Ada 2005 features).
>
> Now, I guess those who want this package will have to wait until and see
> if IBM will release an "Ada 2005 CDROM media license" version and hope it
> will have a similar price.

There is another problem...

...it's out of stock! For the price though I'd get it!

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-01-31  2:14   ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-01-31  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

The reason it is out of stock, I believe is that IBM is coming out with
the full Ada 2005 version, or at least I hope that's the reason. But you
should expect to pay around $500, that was IBM price for the Ada compiler
back in 2006-2007.

Now, back in Oct, through Nov, 2008 there were a number of software sellers
including Amazon.com that had the IBM Ada compiler in stock, all below $200.

@ 2009-01-31  3:20   ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2009-01-31  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 30, 3:24 pm, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 9:16 pm, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>

> > Well it seams from web site:  http://ec.synnex.com/vendors/IBM.html
> > that IBM has recall the
>
> >   "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
>
> > on 1/26/2009.  But you can still seached for that package you will get
> > a number of web sites that have the price between $106 to $200. Just
> > like the following:
>
> > From:http://www.techshopping.biz/sale/3297647/
>
> > "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
> >   $118.95
>
> > The only problem is that it was based on Ada 95 with a few extra
> > (Ada 2005 features).
>
> > Now, I guess those who want this package will have to wait until and see
> > if IBM will release an "Ada 2005 CDROM media license" version and hope it
> > will have a similar price.
>
> There is another problem...
>
> ...it's out of stock! For the price though I'd get it!- Hide quoted text -

I'm quite sure that price only gets you the physical distribution
media (CD-ROM) and maybe some printed installation instructions. IBM/
Rational Apex requires a FLEXlm served license to run and that still
costs $$$$$ per license, minimum.

IBM would be better served if they offered a hobbyist license for Apex
or switched to an open-source, support based business model. Apex was
great for its time but IBM has treated it as a (diminishing return)
cash cow for several years, ever since they bought Rational. I fear
that Telelogic (IBM's recent acquisition) will suffer the same fate as
Rational (great products, uncompetitively priced, left to fade away).

- Britt

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-01-31  9:55     ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-01-31  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 31, 3:20 am, Britt Snodgrass <britt.snodgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 3:24 pm, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 30, 9:16 pm, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>
> > > Well it seams from web site:  http://ec.synnex.com/vendors/IBM.html
> > > that IBM has recall the
>
> > >   "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
>
> > > on 1/26/2009.  But you can still seached for that package you will get
> > > a number of web sites that have the price between $106 to $200. Just
> > > like the following:
>
> > > From:http://www.techshopping.biz/sale/3297647/
>
> > > "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
> > >   $118.95
>
> > > The only problem is that it was based on Ada 95 with a few extra
> > > (Ada 2005 features).
>
> > > Now, I guess those who want this package will have to wait until and see
> > > if IBM will release an "Ada 2005 CDROM media license" version and hope it
> > > will have a similar price.
>
> > There is another problem...
>
> > ...it's out of stock! For the price though I'd get it!- Hide quoted text -
>
> I'm quite sure that price only gets you the physical distribution
> media (CD-ROM) and maybe some printed installation instructions. IBM/
> Rational Apex requires a FLEXlm served license to run and that still
> costs $$$$$ per license, minimum.

So, the £200 is what? Just a command line compiler?

> IBM would be better served if they offered a hobbyist license for Apex
> or switched to an open-source, support based business model. Apex was
> great for its time but IBM has treated it as a (diminishing return)
> cash cow for several years, ever since they bought Rational. I fear
> that Telelogic (IBM's recent acquisition) will suffer the same fate as
> Rational (great products, uncompetitively priced, left to fade away).

Hope not...we are heavy users of Telelogic Rhapsody...

I used Apex for about 4 years and the R1000's before that - Apex was
one of those "way of life" tools but rather cool once you 'got it'!

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-01-31 13:14       ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2009-01-31 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Talk about getting nostalgic.

The old R1000:s I think they where the best development tool ever
produced but there was some serous drawbacks:
* Price
* Performance
* Only one language
They were awfully slow I recall some system builds that required serious
planing, 1 week setup 4 weeks to compile and 1 week cleanup. To build a
similar sized system today takes about 10 minutes a budget desktop machine.
/Nostalgic
/Per -:)

Martin wrote:
> On Jan 31, 3:20 am, Britt Snodgrass <britt.snodgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There is another problem...
>>> ...it's out of stock! For the price though I'd get it!- Hide quoted text -
>> I'm quite sure that price only gets you the physical distribution
>> media (CD-ROM) and maybe some printed installation instructions. IBM/
>> Rational Apex requires a FLEXlm served license to run and that still
>> costs $$$$$ per license, minimum.
>
> So, the �200 is what? Just a command line compiler?
>

>> IBM would be better served if they offered a hobbyist license for Apex
>> or switched to an open-source, support based business model. Apex was
>> great for its time but IBM has treated it as a (diminishing return)
>> cash cow for several years, ever since they bought Rational. I fear
>> that Telelogic (IBM's recent acquisition) will suffer the same fate as
>> Rational (great products, uncompetitively priced, left to fade away).
>
> Hope not...we are heavy users of Telelogic Rhapsody...
>
> I used Apex for about 4 years and the R1000's before that - Apex was
> one of those "way of life" tools but rather cool once you 'got it'!
>
> Cheers
> -- Martin

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-01-31 17:37         ` sjw
From: sjw @ 2009-01-31 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 31, 1:14 pm, Per Sandberg <per.sandb...@bredband.net> wrote:
> Talk about getting nostalgic.
>
> The old R1000:s I think they where the best development tool ever
> produced but there was some serous drawbacks:
> * Price
> * Performance
> * Only one language
> They were awfully slow I recall some system builds that required serious
> planing, 1 week setup 4 weeks to compile and 1 week cleanup.

A colleague once called me over and said, "If I do <this> it seems to
lock up the system" .. and it took the R1000 45 minutes to reboot.
Apparently it was the third time .. almost got his account withdrawn.

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-01-31 18:55     ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-01-31 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually, the version that was sold was a single pathform (Linux, only,
RedHat or SuSE) and did not required the Apex system. The Apex and
Windows versions was still around $450, I called IBM. The problem was
I waited to long to order, because I wanted a free upgrade to 2005 specs.

I found this out after someone post here that IBM was going to update their
Ada to 2005 specs. back in Oct, 2008.

In <925cad43-6435-4115-83cf-6dc9b4f20612@o40g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Britt Snodgrass <britt.snodgrass@gmail.com> writes:
>On Jan 30, 3:24=A0pm, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 30, 9:16=A0pm, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>>

>> > Well it seams from web site: =A0http://ec.synnex.com/vendors/IBM.html
>> > that IBM has recall the
>>
>> > =A0 "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
>>
>> > on 1/26/2009. =A0But you can still seached for that package you will ge=
>> > a number of web sites that have the price between $106 to $200. Just
>> > like the following:
>>
>> > From:http://www.techshopping.biz/sale/3297647/
>>
>> > "IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA"
>> > =A0 $118.95
>>
>> > The only problem is that it was based on Ada 95 with a few extra
>> > (Ada 2005 features).
>>
>> > Now, I guess those who want this package will have to wait until and se=
>> > if IBM will release an "Ada 2005 CDROM media license" version and hope =
>it
>> > will have a similar price.
>>
>> There is another problem...
>>
>> ...it's out of stock! For the price though I'd get it!- Hide quoted text =
>-
>>

>I'm quite sure that price only gets you the physical distribution
>media (CD-ROM) and maybe some printed installation instructions. IBM/
>Rational Apex requires a FLEXlm served license to run and that still
>costs $$$$$ per license, minimum.
>
>IBM would be better served if they offered a hobbyist license for Apex
>or switched to an open-source, support based business model. Apex was
>great for its time but IBM has treated it as a (diminishing return)
>cash cow for several years, ever since they bought Rational. I fear
>that Telelogic (IBM's recent acquisition) will suffer the same fate as
>Rational (great products, uncompetitively priced, left to fade away).
>
>- Britt

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-02-02 15:10 ` Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester
From: Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester @ 2009-02-02 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anon, thanks for trying to be helpful. However, please read the
following from I.B.M....

I emailed I.B.M. on February 2nd, 2009:
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|"On August 27th, 2008, Nuno Marques emailed:                                                     |
|                                                                                                 |
||-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
||"[..]                                                                                          ||
||                                                                                               ||
||Price list for 1 license of IBM Rational ADA Developer Floating User License + SW Subscription ||
||& Support 12 Months is 32.558,00 EUR, but Universidade de Coimbra can acquire it for special   ||
||price of  13.023,00 EUR.                                                                       ||
||                                                                                               ||
||[..]"                                                                                          ||
||-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|                                                                                                 |
|Hello,                                                                                           |
|                                                                                                 |
|I have still not ordered a copy yet partially because of unforeseen                              |
|problems, but eventually I may be able to order a copy.                                          |
|                                                                                                 |
|However, as we are experiencing financial difficulties and the amount                            |
|of 13023.00 Euro is more than the biggest income I have ever received                            |
|in a year, this may not be affordable. I have seen                                               |
|"IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA" and                              |
|"$118.95" on                                                                                     |
|WWW.TechShopping.biz/sale/3297647/                                                               |
|so could you please clarify for me what are the differences?                                     |
|                                                                                                 |
|Yours sincerely,                                                                                 |
|Colin Paul Gloster"                                                                              |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Someone of I.B.M. responded on February 2nd, 2009:
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|"The item that you refer in your email is the Media pack (probably CDs).                       |
|When you acquire the license (the quote that we sent you) you can request 1 set of Media packs |
|for free or download the latest versions electronically (the more green alternative)."         |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-02-02 16:00       ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2009-02-02 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 31, 3:55 am, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 3:20 am, Britt Snodgrass <britt.snodgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > IBM would be better served if they offered a hobbyist license for Apex
> > or switched to an open-source, support based business model. Apex was
> > great for its time but IBM has treated it as a (diminishing return)
> > cash cow for several years, ever since they bought Rational. I fear
> > that Telelogic (IBM's recent acquisition) will suffer the same fate as
> > Rational (great products, uncompetitively priced, left to fade away).
>
> Hope not...we are heavy users of Telelogic Rhapsody...

Yes, we also use Telelogic Rhapsody and DOORS and like them pretty
well.  I was not happy to hear that IBM had acquired Telelogic. I am
particularly disappointed in the way IBM has treated its ClearCase
configuration management product that it acquired with the purchase of
Rational. ClearCase is architecturally brilliant and well implemented.
Its also rather cool to use once you’ve “got it”.

However, ClearCase licenses are expensive and my company is rapidly
switching all new and most existing projects to the “free” Subversion
open-source CM tool. Subversion isn’t nearly as capable (in my
opinion) but its arguably good enough.  IBM apparently would rather
lose all ClearCase customers before it would consider lowering the
price on a mature product to a few $$$ per license per year.

- Britt

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-02-02 19:49   ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-02-02 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Like, I said my info came from Oct 2008. While the US was doing a nose
dive to deletion. Plus, IBM was selling 4 version of there Ada.

In <slrngoe39e.6vk.Colin_Paul_Gloster@Bluewhite64.example.net>, Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> writes:
> [...]
>||                                                                                               ||
>||Price list for 1 license of IBM Rational ADA Developer Floating User License + SW Subscription ||
>||& Support 12 Months is 32.558,00 EUR, but Universidade de Coimbra can acquire it for special   ||
>||price of  13.023,00 EUR.                                                                       ||
>||                                                                                               ||
>||[..]"                                                                                          ||
>||-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
>|                                                                                                 |
>|Hello,                                                                                           |
>|                                                                                                 |
>|I have still not ordered a copy yet partially because of unforeseen                              |
>|problems, but eventually I may be able to order a copy.                                          |
>|                                                                                                 |
>|However, as we are experiencing financial difficulties and the amount                            |
>|of 13023.00 Euro is more than the biggest income I have ever received                            |
>|in a year, this may not be affordable. I have seen                                               |
>|"IBM Rational Ada Developer v.4.4 Enterprise Edition - BT01ENA" and                              |
>|"$118.95" on                                                                                     |
>|WWW.TechShopping.biz/sale/3297647/                                                               |
>|so could you please clarify for me what are the differences?                                     |
>|                                                                                                 |
>|Yours sincerely,                                                                                 |
>|Colin Paul Gloster"                                                                              |
>|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

>Someone of I.B.M. responded on February 2nd, 2009:
>|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>|"The item that you refer in your email is the Media pack (probably CDs).                       |
>|When you acquire the license (the quote that we sent you) you can request 1 set of Media packs |
>|for free or download the latest versions electronically (the more green alternative)."         |

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-02-02 22:15         ` nobody
From: nobody @ 2009-02-02 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Britt Snodgrass wrote:
> On Jan 31, 3:55 am, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jan 31, 3:20 am, Britt Snodgrass <britt.snodgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>IBM would be better served if they offered a hobbyist license for Apex
>>>or switched to an open-source, support based business model. Apex was
>>>great for its time but IBM has treated it as a (diminishing return)
>>>cash cow for several years, ever since they bought Rational. I fear
>>>that Telelogic (IBM's recent acquisition) will suffer the same fate as
>>>Rational (great products, uncompetitively priced, left to fade away).
>>
>>Hope not...we are heavy users of Telelogic Rhapsody...
>>

> Yes, we also use Telelogic Rhapsody and DOORS and like them pretty
> well.  I was not happy to hear that IBM had acquired Telelogic. I am
> particularly disappointed in the way IBM has treated its ClearCase
> configuration management product that it acquired with the purchase of
> Rational. ClearCase is architecturally brilliant and well implemented.
> Its also rather cool to use once you�ve �got it�.

I have seen their plans for Rhapsody for the next few years and honestly
I would not be so worried if I was a user of it. It would be quite a
different thing if i was using Rose or Tau.

Regarding CM tools I'm a synergy user and thats where my concern is.
There are no clear messages from IBM that I have seen but I can't see
them keeping two products trying to compete for the same customers. I
think they will either sell of one product or just kill it by raising
the support cost closer to inf. or very unlikely sell one off.

I'm not sure if they have any other requirement tool than Doors but as I
understand they recently did a "market adaption" of the prices. At least
here in Sweden. That is, they raised them. Alot.

/L

* Re: IBM Rational Ada
@ 2009-02-03  2:30       ` Steve D
From: Steve D @ 2009-02-03  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin" <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>[snip]
>-
>>
>> I'm quite sure that price only gets you the physical distribution
>> media (CD-ROM) and maybe some printed installation instructions. IBM/
>> Rational Apex requires a FLEXlm served license to run and that still
>> costs $$$$$ per license, minimum.
>
>So, the �200 is what? Just a command line compiler?

I can't speak for IBM, but the way things used to work with DEC (Digital)
purchasing the media gave you access to absolutely nothing without license
keys.  Not even a command line compiler.  I would expect the same with
IBM/Rational Apex.

With DEC you had to key in one of those cryptic keys that looks a lot like
line noise in order for any software to be available.  Those keys were often
very expensive.  The physical distributuion gave you disks to load from once
you had the key.

Regards,
Steve