From: "Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96" <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Re: Ada 95 used in future Microsoft O/S???
Date: 1997/08/04
Date: 1997-08-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <wwgrol@PSESERV3.FW.HAC.COM> writes:
>>     I'd be *real* suprised (pleasantly suprised?) to find out that
>>     someone would throw out a huge, tested, mature body of code in
>>     order to gain on some reliability problems. Even if an Ada95
>
>Mature?  Microsoft?

    Well, you've got me there. :-)

    My understanding of the Microsoft development process is that they
    basically throw out the code for a product and rewrite it from the
    ground up on a periodic basis. The theory being that maintenance
    eventually moves the software towards entropy and it's more cost
    effective to rewrite it and get the advantages of the latest
    technology and a whole new set of more interesting bugs. (A story
    I heard - I don't know how true it is.)

    This would seem to be an unwise approach to OS software
    (especially kernel software) since you've got to be real certain
    of the correctness of that part of your system. Rewriting that
    code periodically might be a good idea - but the period should be
    pretty long!

    It sounds like an interesting theory. It would certainly be an
    opportunity for Ada to break into a new market, but I doubt there
    is any serious consideration of such a changeover. Although if we
    keep circulating the rumor, maybe the powers-that-be at Micro$oft
    will believe it's true and start acting accordingly...;-)

    MDC
Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     ATT:        561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-96, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:        561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    "They can't get you for what you didn't say."
        --  Calvin Coolidge