From: "Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93" <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Re: Ada as 2nd Lang, p. 678
Date: 1997/05/12
Date: 1997-05-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

nickerson@MIRAGE.VMS.BOEING.COM writes:
>it may "generally" be a bad idea, but "specifically" when one is
>trying something out or has existing code it is the "reasonable"
>thing to try; I quite identify with John - myself having used a
>compiler which did the "expected" thing and allowed multiple units
>per file;

    I have found that in circumstances where I want more than one
    compilation unit in the same file (say, because I'm doing
    quick-&-dirty concept testing or I'm e-mailing the implementation
    back & forth with another implementor) that I can get by just fine
    using gnatchop.

    Typically, I'll edit a file called <app-name>.chop, save the file,
    do a "gnatchop -w <app-name>.chop", followed by a "gnatmake
    main_unit". It works pretty well if I want the whole program in
    one file. (I haven't figured out how to get gnatchop to work in a
    .BAT file - my ignorance of MS-DOS no doubt. But that might
    provide a means of building a compilation procedure that separates
    out anything where you've combined spec/body for a specific
    reason.) I'll admit it's not the best of all possible worlds, but
    it does work and is not so inconvenient as to make it impossible
    to live with.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL                             Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    "You see that ****ing fish? If he'd kept his mouth shut he
    wouldn'ta got caught."

        --  Sam Giancana, on a stuffed swordfish