From: "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)" <wwgrol@PSESERV3.FW.HAC.COM>
Subject: Re: Ada-smart diff tool
Date: 1997/03/20
Date: 1997-03-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

:> did you look at the unix diff command? it does some of things
:> you wanted.

I appreciate the suggestion, but diff and sdiff will not get the job done.

I'm looking for a tool that will ONLY show genuine differences in the Ada

diff -b   will say that  An_Array(I)  and  An_Array ( I )  are different
which is not true for my purposes.

diff -w will say that   A := new block   and   A := newblock   are the same
which is not true for my purposes.

diff -i will say that  Result := "AAA"  is the same as  Result := "aaa"
which is not true for my purposes.

And finally, I know of _no_ trick whereby  diff will recognize that

if This_Is_True then    is the same as       if This_Is_True
                                             then

I have to compare thousands of lines for "REAL" changes and am trying
to save the time of looking at changes that need not be made just to
determine that they need not be made!

But I can't just blindly install the "new" code, because I actually
need to ensure that such a "REAL" change is correct.

I can do tricks with awk/sed/perl and pretty printers to reformat the
Ada before diff-ing it, but I was checking to see if I could find a tool
with the features already coded....

W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)                                Office: 219-429-4923
Hughes Defense Communications (MS 10-41)                 Home: 219-471-7206
Fort Wayne,  IN   46808                  (Unix): wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com