From: "Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93" <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Re: Ada Success Story
Date: 1997/03/02
Date: 1997-03-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Robert B. Love" <rlove@RAPTOR.NEOSOFT.COM> writes:
>With people so quick to blame Ada for the loss of Ariane I'd
>like to point out that Saturday's Titan 4B flew with a new
>flight computer programmed in Ada.  While I'm sketchy on details
>they used a 1750 computer on a 1553 bus.  An old combination
>of hardware but new for the Titan family.

    While I'm not up on the details of the Titan 4B, I can comment on
    Ada in the rocket business. We've been building a rocket engine
    control for the RL-10 engine that is programmed in Ada for a 1750
    computer on a 1553 bus. So far, the software is performing
    flawlessly on engine tests. (It's still under development, so I'm
    not yet ready to claim its bug-free.)

    The 1750 is truly an old machine, but it's about the only thing
    available for deep space environments. It's really tough to work
    within its memory and speed limitations. If anybody knows of a
    more advanced, faster processor that is suitable for deep space
    that doesn't cost six figures a pop and has some proven track
    record, I'd *really* like to hear about it!

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
    "Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."

        --  Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure
            de Guerre.