From: "Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93" <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Re: "Bugs" (Was: Anyone could give a complete and yet small
Date: 1997/01/11
Date: 1997-01-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Richard Riehle <rriehle@NUNIC.NU.EDU> writes:
>  Following on the proposition stated by Mr. Maggio, we may ask the
>  question, "Does all software contain mistakes?"

    Oh.. I don't know. It would seem to me that one could write a
    sufficiently small program which contained no "mistakes" -
    provided one was real careful about stating the requirements. Does
    anyone doubt that a "perfect" program could be written to satisfy
    the requirement: "Output the result of adding 2 and 2"?

    I think after you get to a certain size in a software project,
    "mistakes" are inevitable - we are only human, after all. And of
    course one can always start debating "that's not a bug - it's a
    feature!" or "it's not a bug in the software - it's a bug in your
    requirements!" just to obfuscate the issue a little.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

        --  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson