From: g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University)
Subject: Re: Some Ada Books.......
Date: 12 May 91 21:17:03 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <3191@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
> In article <964.282ba00a@vger.nsu.edu> g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) writes:
>>In article <3183@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>
>>My problem (and my student's problem) with the books you mention that I have in
>>my library (I don't have your D.S. text.) except for Cohen's text is that one
>>wonders WHAT an Ada program really looks like.  Too many texts parallel the LRM
>>or are so weak that they are either too difficult or too elementary even for a
>>CS1 course.
>
> You didn't mention which books you're referring to, so I'll just give some
> general comments for the net.
>
> The Skansholm and Volper/Katz books are both targeted to CS1, and while I
> prefer the former to the latter, both books are very conscious of pedagogy
> and presentation order, do _not_ follow the LRM, and concentrate - in the
> early chapters, at least, on CS1 topics. These authors all, in my opinion,
> know how to teach to novices. Volper and Katz are both first-year teachers
> in the Cal State system; Skansholm is a Swede.

I do have these books.  I feel that Skansholm (IMHO) was good but lost a great
deal in translation.  I still feel that a solid CS1 text should contain more
than basic CS1 topics, still reflect and be permiated with the principles that
make Ada an excellent language tool.

> One of your problems is that your students already know some programming, so
> a straight CS1 book may be too patronizing to them.
>>
>>Most texts stress the mechanics of Ada or leave out a lot of the mechanics
>>in favor of the "gee wiz" of Ada.  I need a text that has both.
>
> Well, actually I think you need one that concentrates on the techniques of
> algorithm development and good design, independent of the programming
> language, then plugs in the right stuff from Ada wherever that makes sense.
> (The success of the Koffman books over the years makes me pretty sure that
> he's been doing something right; I hope that my overhaul of his material
> for Ada will continue the trend - end of plug).
>
> I find myself wondering why the course is "Ada programming" and not a
> straight CS topic that happens to use Ada as its language. Isn't that
> where we should be heading?

I agree.  The courses started in 1986 as just a syntax course with some
software engineering.  It has evolved into a course that stresses Ada's primary
principles and reusability, real-time systems, etc.  The course is ungoing a
complete review for next year.

> Mike

George
George C. Harrison, Professor of Computer Science
Norfolk State University, 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk VA 23504
Internet:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu    Phone:  804-683-8654