From: RHARWOOD@EAST.Pima.edu (Ray Harwood)
Subject: Philosophically speaking
Date: 22 Jan 91 17:38:00 GMT	[thread overview]

Several inquiries of late have asked what I consider more "operational"
questions of Ada as opposed to actual "language capability" questions.
Two particularly come to mind: (1) Is there a random number generator? and
(2) How do I write to specific screen locations (presuming, I suppose,
VT100-style cursor commands).

I'd like to suggest to all who may not have done so to review Michael
Feldman's implementation of the Dining Philospoher's Problem (I think
it was sent in INFO-ADA V90 # 240, but I'd have to recheck the actual
number).  I used this program in my Ada class, and frankly, it DOES
have screen control and random number generation... as well as a simple
and easy-to-follow (IMHO) implementation of something "relatively real".

Ray Harwood