From: taibi@inil.com (Solomon Taibi)
Subject: Re: Language wars (6th September)
Date: 1996/09/06
Date: 1996-09-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Roy Gardiner <gardinerr@dcslambert.agw.bt.co.uk> wrote:

>1) You may not vote for the language you learned first as no. 1. So
>'everyone always loves their first language best' is eliminated.

Not me.  The first language I learned was GWBASIC.  It's the best
language (at least for me) for making my PC make funny sounds, but not
much else.  Even for that it's not real good since all else must
stop while the funny sounds are made.

>2) You may only vote for languages where you have good practical
>experience

Categorize this as you will:

Most fun at college (undergraduate):  LISP

Most fun at college (graduate):  awk

Most ineresting at college (graduate):  C++

Easiest to program nontrivially:  Pascal

Most ways to do interesting things I don't know how to do any other
way:  Assembler (8088 <old Intel>, 68000 <Apple>, and 370 <BAL>)

Most profitable to me personally,both before and after graduate
school: PL/I on an IBM mainframe, with CICS and embedded SQL.

Second most profitible, but easiest to get
an OK  job in a hurry: COBOL.

>| orwell     | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 |

OK, I'll bite.  What is "Orwell", beside my favorite English author?

--
S. Taibi
***** Write in JULIAN BOND for president in '96 *****