From: "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com>
Subject: Re: Code completion in ada IDE's
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:48:34 -0500
Date: 2005-09-27T08:48:34-05:00	[thread overview]

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Mariusz <mchmiel21@tlen.pl> writes:
>

>>I am mostly C++ and Java programmer and during mmy new project i
>>came across Ada and IDE Apex. I have also tried GPS for GNAT and
>>Objet Ada and my question is such : is there any environment wich
>>could show code comlpetion for ada sources, documentation for code
>>or any info while writing code?
>

> I am not sure exactly what you mean by "code completion", but

I can't answer Mariusz' question, but let me take a guess at some of
what I think he's referring to, to help someone else understand what he
may be looking for.

Visual Studio C++, for example, helps with "code completion" in the
following ways:

- When you type a class variable name, as soon as you type "." or "->"
it brings up a pop-up menu of all that class' functions and member
variables.  You can select which one you want using the mouse or arrow
keys.  If you just keep typing, the nearest match in that list will get
highlighted and when the desired one is selected you can just hit return
to insert it into your code.

- When typing a function name, as soon as you type the "(" the list of
parameters is displayed, with the one highlighted that you're about to
supply an argument for.  When you enter the "," the next parameter in
the list is highlighted, and so on.  If the function name is overloaded,
then you can click to select which one you want to invoke and then start
providing the arguments.

This is a small, but undeniably useful feature, of the IDE which avoids
requiring the programmer to have to refer to another file(or elsewhere
in the same file) when making function calls.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out