* Ada Lovelace
@ 1996-10-21  0:00 "Zarathustra Group"
From: "Zarathustra Group" @ 1996-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry to bring this up here but I didn't know where else to try.

I've been asked by my wife, who is with English Heritage (the
organisation which looks after historic buildings and ancient monuments
in England) for as much detail as I cab provide on the life and work of
Ada Lovelace herself.  They (EH) are preparing a paper for the Lotteries
Commission on the church which holds a monument to her and wish to make
the best possible case they can to repair the monument and bring it to
the notice of the widest possible audience.

Being mainly architectural historians they know of the Ada language but
seem to think its of minor importance and only used in the US and so I've
also been asked for an assessment of how wide its usage is.

All I know is I use it and have done for a few years but perhaps somebody
could give me a more accurate description.

In addition somebody at EH has a view that their is another language
named after her. I must admit, this one has me stumped.

All help gratefully accepted, either here or if the moderators think
it is totally off topic via e-mail

TIA

peter d jackson

* Re: Ada Lovelace
@ 1996-10-21  0:00 ` John Goodenough
From: John Goodenough @ 1996-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Dzn2y9.858@cix.compulink.co.uk>, zarathustra@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Zarathustra Group") writes:

|> I've been asked by my wife, who is with English Heritage (the
|> organisation which looks after historic buildings and ancient monuments
|> in England) for as much detail as I cab provide on the life and work of
|> Ada Lovelace herself.  They (EH) are preparing a paper for the Lotteries
|> Commission on the church which holds a monument to her and wish to make
|> the best possible case they can to repair the monument and bring it to
|> the notice of the widest possible audience.
|> [snip]
|>
|> In addition somebody at EH has a view that their is another language
|> named after her. I must admit, this one has me stumped.

It's true that the language Linda is named after a Lovelace, but this an
entirely unrelated Lovelace, albeit also one of only historical interest
now. :-)

John B. Goodenough					Goodenough@sei.cmu.edu
Software Engineering Institute				412-268-6391

* Re: Ada Lovelace
@ 1996-10-22  0:00 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 1996-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zarathustra Group wrote:

> Sorry to bring this up here but I didn't know where else to try.
>
> I've been asked by my wife, who is with English Heritage (the
> organisation which looks after historic buildings and ancient monuments
> in England) for as much detail as I cab provide on the life and work of
> Ada Lovelace herself.  They (EH) are preparing a paper for the Lotteries
> Commission on the church which holds a monument to her and wish to make
> the best possible case they can to repair the monument and bring it to
> the notice of the widest possible audience.
>
> Being mainly architectural historians they know of the Ada language but
> seem to think its of minor importance and only used in the US and so I've
> also been asked for an assessment of how wide its usage is.
>
> All I know is I use it and have done for a few years but perhaps somebody
> could give me a more accurate description.
>
> In addition somebody at EH has a view that their is another language
> named after her. I must admit, this one has me stumped.
>
> All help gratefully accepted, either here or if the moderators think
> it is totally off topic via e-mail
>
> TIA
>
> peter d jackson

There is a book called "Lovelace, The Enchantress of Numbers"
(which I have) that gives an excellant coverage of Ada's life
including many of her own letters to her friend Charles Babbage.
It really allows you to get into her head - she was a very
fascinating person.

As for Ada, the language, it is used all over the world in many
different applications.  Look at http:www.adahome.com for more
information on it uses and many other resources.

=  Jerry Petrey - Consultant Software Engineer - member Team Ada  =
=                 Rockwell Collins Avionics                       =
=  email: gdp@mlb.cca.rockwell.com                                =

* Re: Ada Lovelace
@ 1996-10-22  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ada, the Enchantress of Numbers, A Selection from the Letters of Lord
Byron's Daughter and Her Description of the First Computer", narrated
and edited by Betty Alexandra Toole, ISBN 0-912647-09-4 might help.

* Re: Ada Lovelace
@ 1996-10-24  0:00 Bob Mathis
From: Bob Mathis @ 1996-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

There have been a number of books published about Augusta Ada Lovelace,
including:

"Ada, Countess of Lovelace: Byron's Legitimate Daughter," by Doris Langley Moore
(Harper & Row, New York, 1977).

"Ada: A Life and a Legacy," by Dorothy Stein (MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1987).

"Ada, The Enchantress of Numbers," by Betty Alexandra Toole (Strawberry Press,
Mill Valley, California, 1992).

She is also included in the Babbage exhibit at the Science Museum in London.
(Charles Babbage was Lucasian professor at Cambridge for ten years beginning in
1828. During that time, he never delivered a lecture at the university. An
interesting example for others to think about.)

"Charles Babbage: On the Principle and Development of the Calculator," by Philip
Morrison and Emily Morrison (Dover, New York, 1961).

John Barnes took part in unveiling a plaque on the house where she lived in
London.

There was even a science fiction story (I think entitled the Difference Engine,
published around 1990) based on the presumption that Babbage's computer had
worked and that the computer age had arrived a century earlier. (Powered by
steam instead of electricity.)

There have been many plays, stories, and articles about Ada's relationship (or
lack there of) with her father.

There are probably additional references in the history and bibliographic files
on http://www.adahome.com and http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us.

-- Bob Mathis

* Re: Ada Lovelace
@ 1996-10-29  0:00 ` Chris Brand
From: Chris Brand @ 1996-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Mathis wrote:
> [cut]
> There was even a science fiction story (I think entitled the Difference Engine,
> published around 1990) based on the presumption that Babbage's computer had
> worked and that the computer age had arrived a century earlier. (Powered by
> steam instead of electricity.)
> [cut]

Written by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling (sp?), if I remember correctly.
And a very good book it is too.

--
Chris
Stating my own opinions, not those of my company.