From: "Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93" <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Use of the GET_IMMEDIATE and FLUSH procedures in TEXT_IO
Date: 1996/07/16
Date: 1996-07-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

    Maybe this question has been asked. Sorry if its a "repeat" but I
    couldn't find the answer in the LRM...

    I'm using GNAT 3.04 for Windows NT. It's working very nicely. I
    was trying to implement the garden-variety "<Hit any key to
    continue>" operation and was trying to use the GET_IMMEDIATE
    procedure in TEXT_IO. It seems that the effect is not what one
    would like (as least not running from within an MS-DOS window, and
    I know of no other way to utilize TEXT_IO...<no GUI builder>). The
    call will read a single character, but it hangs, waiting for the
    ENTER key to be hit.

    I've tried following this with the FLUSH procedure to no effect.
    (The FLUSH procedure is mysteriously undocumented in the Ada95
    LRM. I wonder why this is?)

    Any clues as to how this is really supposed to operate? Any
    suggestions on implementing the "<Hit any key to continue>"
    operation?

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        407.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
    "The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn
    better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible."

        --  A Yale University management professor in response to Fred
            Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service.
            (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)