* Re: Problem installing Ada95 compiler for Windows95 Platform
@ 1996-06-12  0:00 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1996-06-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: stdsic

stdsic@unx1.shsu.edu writes:
>Hi! I already downloaded file from the
>web(http://www.gnat.com/mirrors.html
>
>and the file was for windows 95
>I ran the files and it decompressed that self extracting files and
>I tried to run small program but it gave me out of environment space
>error and some system library error. I happen to know the updates also
>and I got that off from ftp.cs.yale.edu/www/pub/gnat/updates. Could
>anyone, please let me know about it at

First, I recommend you always state what _version_ you are running.
Sometimes files drift around for a long time on the net (or CD) and
it really helps to get this information.  My guess is that you
have 301a (since you mentioned updates).  There is a newer release,
and I suggest you get that from

    ftp://ftp.cs.yale.edu/pub/gnat/setup_gnat304a1.gz

(Get gzip.exe from there too if you don't already have it to decompress
files with the .gz extension.)

The environment space problem is really a Win95 issue.  I've attached
a note on how to expand your default environment space.

-Tom

To increase the environment space allocated to a command window in Win95:

You can change either the properties of the "command.com" program
or any shortcut to that program.  The following tells you how to do it
to the command.com program:

Right click on start button.  Click on "explore".

Using the explorer, navigate to the windows directory (normally c:\windows)
and right-click on "command.com" in the right pane.  Click "properties".

Select the "Memory" tab and in the drop down box under "Initial Environment"
choose a size of at least 1024 bytes.

* Problem installing Ada95 compiler for Windows95 Platform
@ 1996-06-12  0:00 yourname
From: yourname @ 1996-06-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi! I already downloaded file from the
web(http://www.gnat.com/mirrors.html

and the file was for windows 95
I ran the files and it decompressed that self extracting files and
I tried to run small program but it gave me out of environment space
error and some system library error. I happen to know the updates also
and I got that off from ftp.cs.yale.edu/www/pub/gnat/updates. Could
anyone, please let me know about it at

stdsic@unx1.shsu.edu

Thank you in advance for your time.

Choksham.

* Re: Problem installing Ada95 compiler for Windows95 Platform
@ 1996-06-13  0:00 Bob Crispen
From: Bob Crispen @ 1996-06-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Choksham stdsic@unx1.shsu.edu asks:

>I ran the files and it decompressed that self extracting files and
>I tried to run small program but it gave me out of environment space
>error and some system library error. I happen to know the updates also
>and I got that off from ftp.cs.yale.edu/www/pub/gnat/updates. Could
>anyone, please let me know about it at

This is a FAQ, and Tom Griest to his credit mentioned it most
specifically in his readme file.  His readme files have continuously
improved in their clarity and precision.  Now if only we'd read them!

You must create a new shortcut to the MS-DOS shell window.  I keep mine
in my c:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Programming folder -- actually my
c:\Windows\Profiles\Bob\Start Menu\Programs\Programming folder.

Having created this shortcut (which must be the ONLY one you use
to program in gnat -- not the default MS-DOS shell) select Properties
and the Memory tab and change the Initial Environment from Auto
(which doesn't work) to some large number, as Tom specifies in the
readme.

While you're at it, you may want to set up the parameters under
the Program tab so that it auto-executes the gnat batch file and
puts you in an appropriate folder (say, the folder of the
project you're currently working on).  And you might want to set
the typeface and set it up to enable cutting and pasting.

I can't remember whether or not Tom fixed this one (I believe he
did) -- but just in case, check the PATH line in his batch file and
see if it encloses the string to the right of the '=' in double
quotes.  It should.  The reason is that lots of folks have PATHs
that include the "Program Files" folder.  If you don't put double
quotes around the PATH string, DOS expands the existing PATH,
concatenates your new folder names, and when it tries to interpret
the new string, spits up when it sees the space.

People who are even THINKING about getting gnat for Windows 95,
PLEASE SAVE THIS MESSAGE!  Or alternately, read the readme!

Bob Crispen
revbob@eight-ball.hv.boeing.com
Speaking for myself, not my company

* Re: Problem installing Ada95 compiler for Windows95 Platform
@ 1996-06-24  0:00 ` Thomas Kerstan
From: Thomas Kerstan @ 1996-06-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kerstan

@ 1996-06-25  0:00   ` Walter B. Hollman Sr.
From: Walter B. Hollman Sr. @ 1996-06-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Don't have the problem with NT 3.5 thru NT 4.0 bata 2!
Walter B. Hollman Sr