From: "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)" <wwgrol@PSESERV3.FW.HAC.COM>
Subject: Re: Ada Tasking
Date: 1996/05/02
Date: 1996-05-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ken Fowler of MITRE recommended:

> Real-Time Ada Design Methodologies an Their Impact on Performance, by
> Norman R. Howes.....

Ken showed me this paper when I worked with him.  I was surprised when
the paper showed the first example of the "accepted way" of accomplishing
something.  Surprised because it certainly was NOT the accepted way in
my book.  I have always been hostile to complexity that can't be PROVED
necessary to meet requirements.  Yet here was an implementation in which
half of the tasks were nothing more than buffers/FIFOs because "everybody
knows" you can't have critical tasks talking directly to each other.

(I realize that fading memory is probably distorting this a little,
but I think I'm pretty close.  Feel free to straighten me out if I'm
widely off base.)

Then Howes goes through some other options, ending with the simplest one:
NO tasks that do not represent a part of the problem on an abstract level.

I gloated a little when Howes proved that that last one was the most
efficient.  Through my career, I have CONSISTENTLY observed a high
correlation between SIMPLICITY and better computing speed.  Sinc
"everybody knows" (yeah, right) that simplicity also reduces errors,
there's no excuse for clever tricks without proof that they are needed.

W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)                                Office: 219-429-4923
Magnavox - Mail Stop 10-40                               Home: 219-471-7206
Fort Wayne,  IN   46808              elm (Unix): wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com