* Re: binding thickness indicator, was Re: GNAT, OS/2, Libraries
@ 1996-04-12  0:00 Bob Crispen
From: Bob Crispen @ 1996-04-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@BIX.COM sez:

>I propose we use something analogous to house insulation 'R-values'
>for indicating the thickness of a binding.  R1 would be the thinnest
>possible, a la single pane window glass, like Tore's example of
>interfacing to a C routine.  R50 would indicate such thickness and
>insulation that, say, code using an R50 windowing GUI binding would be
>portable across Mac, Windows, OS/2, and X-Windows.

That's not just an idea, it's a meme!  Great analogy (at least for us
Americans).

Bob Crispen
revbob@eight-ball.hv.boeing.com

* binding thickness indicator, was Re: GNAT, OS/2, Libraries
@ 1996-04-11  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I propose we use something analogous to house insulation 'R-values'
for indicating the thickness of a binding.  R1 would be the thinnest
possible, a la single pane window glass, like Tore's example of
interfacing to a C routine.  R50 would indicate such thickness and
insulation that, say, code using an R50 windowing GUI binding would be
portable across Mac, Windows, OS/2, and X-Windows.  R5 might be the
Ada flavor he mentions (type and range checked parameters, raise
exception instead of returning success/fail flag, etc) , but pretty
much still tied to the particular design, style, and widget offerings
of a particular system.  Clearly not an exact measurement, but
somewhat more specific than thick/thin.