* What is GNAT for Win 95
@ 1996-04-09  0:00 Kees de Lezenne Coulande
From: Kees de Lezenne Coulande @ 1996-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

L.S.
     I am trying to get a clear picture in my mind of the various
versions of GNAT for the x86 PC systems. I have used both the DOS
and OS/2 versions, and I think I have a good idea of what the
various unix versions look like.
     But I am still having trouble visualising the Windows 95 version.
I more or less assumed that it would be similar to the OS/2 version,
but then someone convinced me that Win 95 does not have a 32-bit
command-line like OS/2 has. More recently, I saw references to DJGPP
and GO32 in connection with Win 95 GNAT. This would suggest it is
more like basically the DOS version, with presumably bindings to the
Win 95 GUI.
     Could someone please set me straight on this ?
                          Kees de Lezenne Coulander
  C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
  Amsterdam-Zuidoost
  The Netherlands                        Tel: +31(20)6909238
  E-mail: 100121.1153@compuserve.com

Formerly with Fokker Aircraft, now looking for a new challenge.

* Re: What is GNAT for Win 95
@ 1996-04-10  0:00 ` Pascal OBRY
From: Pascal OBRY @ 1996-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNAT for Win95 is actually the GNAT for Windows-NT. It is a real 32 bits
compiler with task mapped to the Windows threads. The compiler is invoked from
a shell (command.com) but is not related by any way to GO32 and DJGPP.

The Win32Ada binding works in Windows-NT and Windows-95.

Of course you can use (and some does!!) the GNAT for DOS (DJGPP + GO32) under
Windows 95.

Hope this help,
Pascal.
--

--|------------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry                               Team-Ada Member |

* Re: What is GNAT for Win 95
@ 1996-04-11  0:00 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1996-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griest, 100121.1153

Kees de Lezenne Coulande <100121.1153@COMPUSERVE.COM> writes:

>     I am trying to get a clear picture in my mind of the various
>versions of GNAT for the x86 PC systems. I have used both the DOS
>and OS/2 versions, and I think I have a good idea of what the
>various unix versions look like.
>     But I am still having trouble visualising the Windows 95 version.
>I more or less assumed that it would be similar to the OS/2 version,
>but then someone convinced me that Win 95 does not have a 32-bit
>command-line like OS/2 has.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a 32-bit command-line", but if you
mean that you can invoke 32-bit native programs from a "MS-DOS prompt"
console window, then you should go back to the person that convinced
you that you can't do this on Win95 and reverse their understanding.

>More recently, I saw references to DJGPP
>and GO32 in connection with Win 95 GNAT.

Where did you see this?  It is incorrect if it implies that you
use either GO32 or DJGPP for Win95.

>This would suggest it is
>more like basically the DOS version, with presumably bindings to the
>Win 95 GUI.
>     Could someone please set me straight on this ?

Under Win95 and WinNT (the exact same compiler/runtime is used for both)
you generate 32-bit applications with GNAT and the compiler runs as
a 32-bit native application.  No memory managers or DOS-extenders are
needed or used.  Every executable for GNAT/Win32 is 32-bit.

If this still doesn't clear up your question, send me email and I'll
try again.

-Tom
LabTek Corp.