* Setting Up GCC and GNAT under Windows '95
@ 1996-03-26  0:00 Jack Beidler
From: Jack Beidler @ 1996-03-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: beidler, sidbury, plishka

Let me begin by saying that I am a real novice to Windows '95, but
have substantial experience with DOS/Win 3.1, SunOS, and Linux.  Here
is my problem.  I want to put the 32 bit version of the GNAT Ada
compiler and the GNU C++ system on Windows '95 on my system "THE
RIGHT WAY", what ever that means.  To me it means I want to take
full advantage of the GUI (drag-and-drop, point-and-click) to
edit, compile, link, and run programs written in Ada 95 and C++
using the GNU/GNAT software.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who is working with either
GNU or GNAT under Windows '95.  Please email me directly because
my news feed is over a week late and drops lots of messages.
What I am looking for are two things.  The first series of questions
is about how you set up the environment, the second is how you use it.
I will send a copy of the results of this survey, with observations,
suggestions, and recommendations to all those who participate.

1.  How did you interface the GNU/GNAT system to Windows '95?  That is:
    a.  After loading the system how did you execute the SETPATH?
    b.  How did you link the execution of the compiler, linker, etc. to
        source files in the langauge?

2.  With respect to software development?
    a.  Which editor/word processor do you use to edit programs?
    b.  What is your preferred method of invoking the editor?
    c.  What is your preferred method of invoking the compiler?
    d.  What is your preferred method of invoking the linker?
    e.  How do you handle the passing of options to the compiler/linker?
    f.  What is your preferred method of running a program?

3.  On a grade of 1 (poor) to 10 (great) how would you rate your
    satisfatcion with the approach you took.

    Comments:

I plan to do a similar survey for Windows NT in the near future.

Please email your respnse to me because of my poor news service.

Thanks in advance

Jack
--
John (Jack) Beidler, Professor               mailto:beidler@uofs.edu
Dept. of Computing Sciences         717-343-7446(-7774)(-4250 [fax])

* Re: Setting Up GCC and GNAT under Windows '95
@ 1996-04-06  0:00 ` Raj Thomas
From: Raj Thomas @ 1996-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:22:38 -0800, Jack Beidler <beidler@cs.uofs.edu>
wrote:

>I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who is working with either
>GNU or GNAT under Windows '95.
>1.  How did you interface the GNU/GNAT system to Windows '95?  That is:
>    a.  After loading the system how did you execute the SETPATH?

I added the contents of set path to the autoexec.bat, thusly:

SET GALAXY=A220 I5 D1 K10 P530 T6
SET TMP=d:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET LIST=d:\WINDOWS\TEMP
rem ada specific
set TMPDIR=F:\ADA\DJGPP\tmp
set GO32TMP=F:\ADA\DJGPP\tmp
set GO32=topline F:\ADA\DJGPP\drivers\vga.grd gw 640 gh 480
set DJGPP=F:\ADA\DJGPP\djgpp.env
set ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=F:\ADA\DJGPP\adainc
set ADA_OBJECTS_PATH=F:\ADA\DJGPP\lib\adalib
set GW-GNAT=F:\ADA\DJGPP\gw-gnat

>    b.  How did you link the execution of the compiler, linker, etc. to
>        source files in the langauge?
>2.  With respect to software development?
>    a.  Which editor/word processor do you use to edit programs?
>    c.  What is your preferred method of invoking the compiler?
>    d.  What is your preferred method of invoking the linker?
>    e.  How do you handle the passing of options to the compiler/linker?
>    f.  What is your preferred method of running a program?

I use adaide

>3.  On a grade of 1 (poor) to 10 (great) how would you rate your
>    satisfatcion with the approach you took.

3 on 10.
Ada ide is a fairly crappy editor.
When I have time, I plan to set up pfe to invoke the gnat compiler and
linker.
In addition, I dislike the way Ada Ide has to create a separate window
to run the compiler.

Octopus traps
summer's moonspun dreams
soon fade away.
Basho 1644

* Re: Setting Up GCC and GNAT under Windows '95
@ 1996-04-08  0:00 Bob Crispen
From: Bob Crispen @ 1996-04-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raj Thomas <rajt@GCO.APANA.ORG.AU> sez:

>>I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who is working with either
>>GNU or GNAT under Windows '95.
>>1.  How did you interface the GNU/GNAT system to Windows '95?  That is:
>>    a.  After loading the system how did you execute the SETPATH?
>
>I added the contents of set path to the autoexec.bat, thusly:
>
>SET GALAXY=A220 I5 D1 K10 P530 T6
[snip]

I think this was supposed to be conducted off the newsgroup, but for
those who are interested, Gnat (at least LabTek Gnat) doesn't use any
DOS shell commands that I can detect.  Or at any rate, it doesn't
require me to run out of a DOS shell.

I routinely run Gnat under bash (available from the Cygnus gnu-win32 folks
and elsewhere), and I have a special DOS window on my Start menu (under
Programming, a folder I created) that executes the appropriate ".bat"
file.  That file contains nothing more than

        d:\usr\bin\bash -rcfile ./.bashrc
        exit

And then the environment variables are set up in the normal Unix fashion.
in the .bashrc file.

I don't even have c:\Windows\Command in my $PATH.  Gnat works just fine
in this environment.

Speaking for myself, not my company
Bob Crispen
revbob@eight-ball.hv.boeing.com